Not an electrician

Old 07-29-05, 01:42 PM
Not an electrician

I am by no means an electrician.

I have just moved into a new home and have begun to landscape. Ultimately we would like a spa, and outdoor kitchen, etc. on the side of the home. It is approximately 180 feet from where the main electrical panel is located.

I can dig trenchs, glue conduit, and pull wires.

In preparation of future amenitties listed, what size wire would I need to buy and pull. I will be shopping at the local big box store.

Once the wires are in place how should I terminate them. Should I go ahead and buy sub panels at the end.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-05, 02:04 PM
This is not the sort of place for a do it yourselfer to start.

Fiorst, fully analyze your incoming service and your power needs where you are.

Old 07-29-05, 02:29 PM
Just to add to Bobs comments. A whole lot of planning is involved in what you are wanting to do. We have no idea what your skill level is and you mentioned Spa which is one of the real borderline installations for anybody that isnt an electrician. Also outdoor kitchen requirements require a great deal of preplanning. You need permits and diagrams etc etc.. You need load calculations for both the house panel and the proposed additional outdoor kitchen and spa. Wire size cant be given nor can the best way to supply this additional load be advised without a bunch more information.
I am a firm believer that a person has every right to work on their own house. But you really need to have an above average undertanding of residential electrical to tackle what you suggest as a DIYER.