Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Add a wire to existing 3-wire line or replace it with a 4-wire line?

Old 07-30-05, 09:33 AM

I'm creating a 3-way switch with two fixtures between the switches. I'm following a diagram in the home depot fix-all book, so I'm clear on how the wires will link. However, I see that at one point between the two fixtures I will new some 4-wire line. Thery didn't have any at home depot last time I checked. Can I just run a stray single line alongside a 3-wire line or must I seek out the proper 4-wire line?

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-05, 11:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I feel that it is much easier if you bring the power into the 1st 3W then run 3 wire between the switches. Take the power out using 2 wire cable to the fixtures. Run 2 wire between the fixtures. NOTE all cables would have a ground.

You could also make the one 3W a dead end switch by only having the 3 wire cable in the last switch box.

Old 07-30-05, 11:46 AM
The answer to your question is no. A current carrying conductor can't be run loose.

You will find it much easier to wire if you wire it up with one light and then simply run a wire from the first light to the second.

Old 07-30-05, 12:34 PM
Thanks' y'all. The code issue was the main basis behind my inquiry. Although it took me a few minutes, I know see what you mean about rig it for one and then just add the second one into it. I assume I will be tying in the added fixture at the same point where the primary fixture leads are joined with the in-wall wiring. The 2-wire between the two fixtures is simply an extension of the leads of the 2nd fixture.

Very nice!!

The fixtures are a light/fan and a fan only. Haha, the fun part will be the fact that I'm only putting the *fan* portion of the fan/light in the 3-way switch. I'm going to maintain the light portion as a single-pole switch.

Wish me luck!

-Chris