breaker keeps tripping

Old 07-30-05, 01:59 PM
breaker keeps tripping

breaker keeps tripping when I turn on a booster pump for my pool sweep it only does it during the day when I run the pump during the night its fine but when I run it during the day it will run for awhile then the breaker trips I don't know if the heat during the day has anything to do with it or what

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-05, 07:48 PM
WFO
Could be. House breakers are thermal and are effected by ambient heat. On the other hand, is anything else on this circuit that runs during the day and not so much at night?
Also, what is the running load (amps) of the pump and what is the breaker size.
Normally, a breaker is only loaded for continuous duty at 80% of its rating (i.e.-16 amps on a 20 amp breaker).

Old 07-31-05, 08:47 AM
i have a pool filter pump and a booster pump for the pool sweep the running load for the booster pump is 16.5 amp and the breaker is a 15 amp have two 15 amps hooked together. the booster pump is what makes it trip and it trips after running for about 2min. and this happens all the time even at night. i thought it was the heat but its not i guess

Old 07-31-05, 09:39 AM
16.5 amps through a 15 amp breaker should cause a trip.

Old 07-31-05, 11:52 AM
put 20amp breaker on and that do the job thanks

Old 07-31-05, 11:58 AM
Whoa. Do not place a 20 amp breaker on this circuit! That is bad and could burn your house down. Remove it immediately.

The only circumstances under which you place a 20 amp breaker on this circuit is if the entire circuit is wired with 12 gage or larger wire. It's unlikely this is the case, or they would have used a 20 amp breaker in the first place.

From the sounds of things, you need to run a new circuit for this booster pump, or run a larger circuit to replace this entire circuit.

Once again, remove this 20 amp breaker. It could burn your house down.