TV Interference Through GFI

Old 07-30-05, 07:01 PM
mackaz
Visiting Guest
TV Interference Through GFI

Hello--I do hope someone can help me solve this.

I have a sharp 13" Aquos LCD in the kitchen connected to the AC GFI. Just about every-time the Central AC unit went on, I would get snow/interference. I could unplug the AC and plug back in it would be clear. It got so bad I took TV to shop. They did find a bad AC-DC transformer but said that wouldn't have been the issue. All else checked out. It seemed to work fine for a bit. It's back again. So, I decided to see what would happen if I tripped the GFI and re-set. Worked fine, interference gone. After doing this several times I decided to replace the GFI. That seemed to work for a while but now I'm back in the same place. Interference does also show up when a hair dryer in the bathroom is used or the shredder in the office but when those are shut off it disappears. I had a regular TV in the kitchen and had no issues. All five TV'S in the house are all connected to the same DirecTV dish through LNB or splitters. They all work fine. One being another Sharp large LCD. ANY suggestions? Please...Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-05, 02:02 PM
mackaz
Visiting Guest
Guys,

Are there no types of filters that might help this? Something?

Last edited by mackaz; 07-31-05 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could try a line / noise filter on the set. They are available for under $20 at "the shack".

Old 07-31-05, 05:57 PM
mackaz
Visiting Guest
Thanks Goldstar...I live in a very rural area of AZ. Can you suggest a web site of a reputable dealer? Would it be a filter that would plug into the receptacle then the TV AC into that? Thanks again.

Old 07-31-05, 06:11 PM
I'll make the same suggestion goldstar did: the shack (i.e., www.radioshack.com or 1-800-THE-SHACK).

Old 07-31-05, 09:01 PM
mackaz
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys. It's on order. Let's hope that does it!

Old 08-27-05, 08:38 PM
mackaz
Visiting Guest
That didn't work???

Tried the Radio Shack line/noise filter. Didn't help. Any other suggetions?

Originally Posted by mackaz
Thanks guys. It's on order. Let's hope that does it!

Old 08-30-05, 04:25 AM
WFO
Not to be the harbinger of doom.....

We had a little old lady at our Utility complaining of much the same thing. We swapped outlets, re-did connections, checked breakers for tightness, swapped TV's with one of her other rooms, even ran a new temporary coax out to the DISH. Our communications guy even tried a scope and got nothing. The local DISH dealer didn't have any better luck than we did. Never did find the problem.

The only other recommendation I might make might be a little redundant with the filter idea. Try a UPS system. Kind of an expensive experiment if it doesn't work, but maybe you could borrow one off your computer, or bum one from a friend just to try it out.

Old 08-30-05, 07:30 AM
This may or may not be relevant to your problem: more than once I have found a dimmer switch to be the source of otherwise unexplained interference. Some dimmers, especially older ones, and especially if they are left at a very low setting but not clicked all the way to OFF can cause problems.

The fact that only one TV is affected by whatever it is can be attubuted to the vagaries of that one TV. Either by design or manufacturing defect, it is more susceptible to interference.

Old 08-30-05, 01:44 PM
mackaz
Visiting Guest
I really appreciate the responses. I called a guy in town that owns a electronic, phone, FM radio etc. etc., he even has a huge pocket protector filled with stuff. I figured he must have an idea. He suggested all that you did WFO. I think you're on to something 594. I believe it's the TV as well. This is the third one we've had in the kitchen (first LCD) none of the others had any issues. May just be one of those things. I double checked the dimmers. This thing only shows sporadic interference when the main AC unit comes on. At least summer is almost over and we won't need the AC and all will be fine.

Again, I appreciate the responses.

Old 08-30-05, 02:46 PM
WFO
One last thing. Get a couple of extension cords and run the living room TV from the kitchen GFI and the kitchen TV from the living room circuit. If the problem goes into the living room, it's probably the GFI (or a bad connection on that circuit). If the problem stays in the kitchen, you've narrowed it down to the TV or the coax. Then try the same thing with the coax connecters at the splitter. Again, if it stays in the kitchen, it's probably the TV.

Old 08-30-05, 08:33 PM
WFO brings up an issue that I had overlooked and that is the Coax. A loose screw-on connector can be a problem; a poorly crimped connector same thing; and if you happen to be using a feed cable made of the older RG-59, you will get some improvement by using RG-6.

Old 08-30-05, 09:28 PM
mackaz
Visiting Guest
Excellent point! However, my coax is a direct RG-6 run from a splitter at my living room TV. I have checked the connectors and even tighten them slightly with a wrench to be sure of a tight connection.

Thanks again! Maybe it will just go away...

Old 08-31-05, 08:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You said you have satellite TV and are using cable splitters. I assume that you are splitting the output of a receiver between two (or more) TVs using a standard coax splitter. Satellite TV receivers are usually designed to only provide enough signal to operate one TV with no splitters.

Unless your receiver was designed to drive two TVs with a splitter, that could be your problem as well. Try connecting the snowy TV directly to the reciever without going through the splitter. If that works, you will need to buy a splitter with a signal amplifier built-in.

Old 08-31-05, 10:13 AM
mackaz
Visiting Guest
ib,

That is correct. The installer split the signal at my DTV in the living room and went directly to the TV in the kitchen. So, what's on in the living room is on in the kitchen.

My question about your suggestion is; why did the interference not show up on two prior TV's in the kitchen with the same hook up? Why would the interference go away (when it's present) if I trip and re-set the GFI? I will however, try your suggestion.

Thanks

Old 08-31-05, 10:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am running a dish system which was mail ordered and installed from scratch by myself ( eight years ago). I am currently running a total of three conventional TV's off one receiver with no problems, even with all three on at the same time. It is sounding like a minor power dip, as when the the air or furance blower kicks on is enough to upset some circuit in this particular TV.
Did you try the suggestion of feeding it with an extension cord from a different breaker? It may be that this is the one tv out of thousands with a weak circuit which cannot handle the small power fluctuation.

Old 08-31-05, 11:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm with goldstar on either front. Something about this TV is particularly sensitive. It's either the power supply, or the signal receiver, or some of the electronics. You could try a lot of things including the signal filters, power line filters, and signal amplifiers, but it still may be just that particular unit.

Old 08-31-05, 04:00 PM
mackaz
Visiting Guest
I agree...