can I fit 2 switches in 1 switch area?

Old 08-01-05, 04:18 AM
Talking can I fit 2 switches in 1 switch area?

i have a problem. I have recently installed some recess lighting. I wanted to put the switch right next to the existing pendant light switches for the room. The problem is because the wall has existing duct work next to the existing switch I do not have the room for the new switch. Now I noticed that in lighting show rooms they have multiple switches which seem to fit in a area the size of a standard light switch. Is there any switches like those out there for the home? If yes where can I purchase such switches? Any suggestions would be great.

Dharma

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-05, 04:38 AM
Look here. I believe you are wanting one of the ones described as "one pole, two toggle".

Are these lights being fed off the same circuit as the lights on the existing switch?

Old 08-01-05, 05:50 AM
Duplex switches are readily available that can do what you wish. The switches end up sideways of the normal configuration.

The switches can be on the same circuit or on separate circuits. There is a tab on one side of the device that allows a single connection to both switches. Remove the tab if you have separate circuits, leave it in place for a single circuit. There is no tab on the other side of the switches.

Old 08-01-05, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
The switches can be on the same circuit or on separate circuits. There is a tab on one side of the device that allows a single connection to both switches. Remove the tab if you have separate circuits, leave it in place for a single circuit. There is no tab on the other side of the switches.

Bob,

Chirkware here--I was hoping someone else would comment on these switches with separate circuits. I've been wondering about this for a while...Would the "single yoke" rule that says you have to tie together breakers feeding a single yoke apply to these switches when used on different circuits? If not, I would worry about the DIYer who trips one breaker, but not the other, and assumes ( ) it is safe to work on the switches.

Old 08-01-05, 07:03 AM
Unfortunately, the word "yoke" is not precisely defined in the code. But everybody would consider the two switches in a duplex switch to be on the same yoke, and thus require the "simultaneously disconnect".

Old 08-01-05, 04:25 PM
First I wanty to thank everyone for your answers that helps me a lot.
Chirkware, No the 2 switches are on seperate breakers. I will be careful and make sure all the right right breakers are switched off.

Thanks all,

Dharma

Old 08-02-05, 12:28 AM
Is there any dimmer ones? 1 pole 2 dimmer?

Old 08-02-05, 08:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have never seen two dimmers in a single gang device, just toggle switches and rocker switches. I suspect that such a device does not exist based on how large dimmers are and how much heat they produce compared to toggle switches.

Old 08-02-05, 02:41 PM
Thanks everyone. That helps a lot!

Dharma