New phone line to house (Verizon)

Old 08-04-05, 04:16 PM
Question New phone line to house (Verizon)

Anyone ever ran a new phone line to the house from the phone companys box? I have a couple of questions and don't seem to be able to get ahold of the right person at Verizon.
First let me say I am in California, if that makes a differance. Here is what I have from Verizon so far:

"Developer/Owner responsibilities:

1. Conduit will be a minimum of 18" from final grade....

A. 2" conduit
B. 2" conduit will be contiuous with no more that three 90 degree bends and end at the base of the telephone protector box.
C. All conduit placed shall be equipped with a plastic or nylon pull rope (not less than 1,000 lb Tensile strength).

2. Provide a weather resistant flush mounted telephone protector box with a hinged door and 1/2" plywood back. Minimum size: 11 1/4" X 14" X 4" (NB 1100W or equivalaent). A 2" conduit will be placed from the telephone protector box through the foundation.

3. All interior wiring will terminate inside the telephone protector box.

4. Provide and place an insulated #10 solid copper ground wire from the telephone protector box to the electrical ground source (grounded water pipe or other ground), providing a common bond with a seperate clamp. Clamp to be accessible.

5. When trench requirements are met, call us.....

Now here are my questions:

Para 2: This house is already finished. Can I use a surface mount box (BN 14155W; 14 3/8" X 15" X 5 1/4"? If so, the conduit will not be run through the foundation, so what is the requirements for the interior wire coming to the outside of the house, do they have to be inside conduit?

Para 4: There is an electrical box right next to where we plan on putting the telephone box. Can we run the #10 insulated solid copper ground wire to it and ground it there? Or do we have to install a grounding rod? What are the regulations on a grounding rod?

How close to the phone companies drop box do I have to dig the trench? It is about 10' off of the property line.

I am going to keep trying to get ahold of the right person, but in the mean time, thought I would pick your brains......

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-05, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Trying2Help
"Developer/Owner responsibilities:

1. Conduit will be a minimum of 18" from final grade....

A. 2" conduit
B. 2" conduit will be contiuous with no more that three 90 degree bends and end at the base of the telephone protector box.
C. All conduit placed shall be equipped with a plastic or nylon pull rope (not less than 1,000 lb Tensile strength).

2. Provide a weather resistant flush mounted telephone protector box with a hinged door and 1/2" plywood back. Minimum size: 11 1/4" X 14" X 4" (NB 1100W or equivalaent). A 2" conduit will be placed from the telephone protector box through the foundation.

3. All interior wiring will terminate inside the telephone protector box.

4. Provide and place an insulated #10 solid copper ground wire from the telephone protector box to the electrical ground source (grounded water pipe or other ground), providing a common bond with a seperate clamp. Clamp to be accessible.

5. When trench requirements are met, call us.....
Sorry, I can't help with the particulars of your area. But leave it to California to have such absurd customer requirements.
The customer is required to ground the phone company's equipment???
All we are required to provide is a conduit with a pull string stubbed up/out at both ends.

Old 08-04-05, 04:37 PM
I happen to agree with you...Used to be they would come out and were responsible for everything to the house. Now I guess it is to they drop box.

I really don't know, I am trying to do this job for a ninety year old woman who bought a new house and the contractor has left her high and dry.

Hoping someone will be able to clear some things up for me....terms broken down Barney style.

Old 08-05-05, 04:16 AM
I am presuming that these instructions are for the telco run from their equipment box to the 'demark', much like the Power Company instructions for installing service laterals to the meter. In general the telco owns and maintains all of the wires up to the 'demark', so I guess they want everything 'overkill' so that they don't have to do any repairs. You will find that most DIY phone wiring instructions presume work _after_ the demark.

For para 2, I am _guessing_ that they simply want a box big enough to mount their standard demark unit, and that you can penetrate into the house any way that you see fit.

For para 4, I am _certain_ that you need to run the #10 ground back to your 'grounding electrode system', not to any random equipment grounding conductor, and especially not to a new _separate_ ground rod. A _separate_ ground rod is more dangerous than not grounding the phone equipment at all! The NEC requires that all grounding electrodes be bonded together, and that phone equipment be bonded to a specific list of locations.

-Jon

Old 08-05-05, 08:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Trying2Help
2" conduit
If I had to guess, the 2" conduit is planning ahead for deployment of FTTC (fiber -optic to the curb) system whereby you can get phone, Internet, digital TV, etc through one cable from the telco. Fiber optic cable needs very gentle sweeps and a lot of physical protection. Something like 1/2" conduit with custom bent 20" sweeps would be okay for the fiber, but harder to explain to a homeowner than just mandating 2" PVC.

Old 08-17-05, 06:32 PM
You have to trench your own condiut and provide your own demarc (NID)?

I've never actually heard of any such thing.

Generally the telephone company takes care of all outside wiring, up to and including the NID, the customer then takes it from there.

Condiut is likely for future expansion.

The ground wire for the NID should be connected directaly to the houses main grounding bar. The requirements for the grounding bar depend on location amongst other things.

Old 08-18-05, 09:52 AM
Cool

Well got the conduit in and the house wiring ran. Now it is up to the phone company to come out and install the drop.

Yes, it is a little strange, but this is a "new build" and the contract with the builder didn't specify that an phone line be installed. You would think the phone company would install it, but NO....

It is the owners responsiblity to put in the conduit, supply a pull rope, run the ground wire and house wiring. The phone company will come out and install the cable from the drop box to the house and install the NIC, connect the house wiring and ground to the NIC. If all is wired correct, you now have phone service?!?!? They are responsible for upkeep of the cabling to the NIC, home wiring insurance costs you on your phone bill.

The only thing I have come up with on the 2" conduit requirement is for later upgrade to fiber. The conduit couldn't have any 90 degree bends, had to use 90 sweeps.

Now I am just waiting for the phone company to come out and put the drop in, if they don't find something wrong with what I ran. They have five days to come out and put the drop in, so we will see than.

Old 08-22-05, 12:46 PM
Thumbs up

Well it is all up and running!!!! Yep, the phone company came out and put the line through the 2" conduit, mounted the demarc, connected all the wires to the demarc and left. Only thing they had to say was, "Could have been deeper." Of course, they weren' t the ones digging the darned trench. Not sure what he meant, as I wasn't there, but it was at least 18" deep. It was such a pain to get dug too. We kept having evening rains, so I had to clean it out two differant times, after digging it!!! Poor planning on my part.
Oh well, all is good and she now has phone service and is happy. At least, they left my rope behind!!!
Thanks for the help and information from all, it has been a learning experiance.