multiple sub panels

Old 08-05-05, 07:50 PM
BRock1
Visiting Guest
multiple sub panels

I want to add an addition to my house and I am worried about having enough room for another sub-panel. I currently have a 200 amp main panel, with a 60 amp breaker going to my air handler sub-panel, a 100 amp breaker going to a sub-panel for my kitchen renovation (2 - 40 amp, 3 - 20 amp), a 60 amp breaker going to a sub-panel for heat pump, a 30 amp going to my dryer and a 60 amp going to a sub panel that takes care of my pool pump and water heater.

What I would like to do is take out the 30 amp and use that space to run a new sub-panel for the addition. The panel would have to be able to handle the dryer, an air handler and heat pump and the lights and outlets the addition is approximately 14' x 20' with a 14' x 14' screened porch.

Do I have enough room to make it happen? What size panel and wire to the panel would you recommend?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-05, 08:13 PM
The only number that's really important is the 200-amp service. The number and size of subpanels and breakers is pretty-much immaterial. You need to do a "demand load calculation" (google that term) to see if the 200-amp service will be enough. The calculation requires the square footage of your house, whether each of the major systems are gas or electric, tons of air conditioning, and any odd factors such as a pool or multiple kitchens.

Old 08-06-05, 11:16 AM
BRock1
Visiting Guest
John,
Have you seen a calculator on line that I can download to keep me from doing all of the calculations by hand? All of the old links I find in the archives are not valid.

Old 08-06-05, 11:56 AM
Mike Holt (www.mikeholt.com) used to have an Excel spreadsheet that would do the calculation on his website. I haven't looked there recently so I don't know if it's still available.