Cost For A New Circuit Breaker Box ?

Old 08-06-05, 07:58 AM
Cost For A New Circuit Breaker Box ?

Hello:

Before I contact any contractors, I would like to get some very approx idea what might be a "reasonable" cost to replace a very old FPE 125 amp service/circuit breaker box with a new 200 amp one with about 20 breakers
or so ? Probably a Square D one, I would think.

Live in the Boston area.

Thanks,
B.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-05, 09:50 AM
You will need new Service-Condutors with an ampacity = 200, a 200 amp Meter-Socket, the Service Panel with a 200-amp MCB, and probably a new #4 Grounding Electrode Conductor routed between the Service location on the water-meter.

Also, there are "paper-work" expences. In Westchester Co. (NY) this would include; summitting a request to Con Ed to unlock the meter; sumitting and obtaining Con Ed approved "specifications"; "filing" permits with the NY Fire Underwriters and the local municipality, permit/inspection fees to both the "locals" and the NY F-U's. These, ( plus the annual License-renewal fee) probably = a $200 "overhead" for the contractor.

Old 08-07-05, 07:55 PM
I would not restrict myself to 20 circuits. Put oin the largest one that you can physically fit into the space. 20 circuits is hardly enough for a modern house.