No room for grounds & Neutals?

Old 08-06-05, 12:34 PM
No room for grounds & Neutals?

I must admit that my questions arise from situations that I encounter. If an empty panel box without breakers was properly bonded via conduit to the main panel box; could a ground buss be inserted in the new empty one and used for the grounds and neutrals that seem to have run out of space. I understand some grounds can be doubled up if of the same AWG. This still leaves me with not enough space for some neutrals. I use all of my 24 breakers and my bar is used for both grounds & neutrals. It has only 24 screws. The diagram on this older General Switch panel shows room for another bar, but it must be for another model. This one is quite crowded for now. So does my idea of attaching another empty box with just a grounding buss in it fly or (no pun intended here) just stay grounded for now and forever.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-05, 07:33 PM
No. Grounding and neutral wires may be interconnected in one and only one place, and the empty box isn't it.

Old 08-07-05, 04:49 PM
You should attach a grounding bar kit to the panel, giving you extra space for the equipment ground conductors.

-Jon

Old 08-08-05, 05:45 AM
I agree with Winnie and most certainly agree with John. The overcrowding usualy comes from sloppy work so if you look at redoing the neutrals and grounds in a neat manner and possibly with the plan of re-routing to give you space for an additional grounding bar you will probably recover the space.

I do not know how many times I see a panel that loops like a FISH NET only to re-do and re-organize the panel will clean it up and open up space for an additional bar and solves your problem.