very concerned with outlet

Old 08-06-05, 02:09 PM
bobinchick
Visiting Guest
Exclamation very concerned with outlet

i changed an outlet that was sparking...the wires were burnt...i cut off the bad an reconnected....everything was fine for 1 week....now all the lights are flickering in the house....and the circuit that i changed the outlet on, goes off for about 2 seconds then comes back on...i shut off the breaker for now until i know whats wrong...but have no electric in 3 rooms...any help would be appreciated

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-05, 04:19 PM
Did you check for loose wires on the outlet you changed? Either on the outlet itself or any wirenuts in the box.

Old 08-06-05, 04:26 PM
You have a loose connection. Find it and fix it.

Old 08-06-05, 06:11 PM
bobinchick
Visiting Guest
yes i did check for loose wires everything is tight....i shut the breaker off and lights in house r still flickering.....there must be a problem somewhere else because its still happening with breaker off....any suggestions?
thanks

Old 08-06-05, 06:58 PM
Check the other receptacles, switches or lights on the circuit.

Old 08-06-05, 07:11 PM
bobinchick
Visiting Guest
ok thanks i'll try that ill let u know....im going to try that before i change the whole line
thanks

Old 08-07-05, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by bobinchick
now all the lights are flickering in the house....and the circuit that i changed the outlet on, goes off for about 2 seconds then comes back on..
People may have misread your problem.

Reconfirm this question.
Every light in the house (ALL lights), are flickering yes/no ?
How old is the house ?

If your having problems throughout the house, you may have a loose connection with the main service wires, the meter, the power pole, the wires feeding the main panel.

If that's the case Call the power company first.

Old 08-08-05, 05:33 PM
bobinchick
Visiting Guest
thanks gwiz......i kinda figured that might be the problem b/c everything was working fine for a week....then my gas/electric company started to replace the gas lines in front of my home...maybe while breaking the ground up they might have disrupted my main line.....im calling them now for them to check...thanks for ur help....ill let u know the outcome.

Old 09-15-05, 08:23 PM
bobinchick
Visiting Guest
i called my power company they said everything was ok...for some reason the flickering stopped for awhile....then the original circuit i was working on,is acting up again...the whole circuit will go out and come back on its own...i checked again for any loose wires and nothing is loose....now the power is completely out on that circuit....cant be a short the breaker is not popping...i guess the next step is getting an electrician but being a single mom its hard...any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-16-05, 08:26 AM
The loose wire could be at any fixture (switch or plug) on the circuit or might be in the main panel. I would start at the main panel and check all connections on the circuit. If you don't feel comfortable taking the cover off the panel (remember you can't turn the whole panel off so there are always some energized parts inside...) call an electrician. Move any wires that are pushed into holes on the back of switches and plugs to the screw terminals on the sides.

Doug M.

Old 09-16-05, 08:37 AM
bobinchick
Visiting Guest
thanks doug....i checked everything that i could visually see...could it be somewhere in side the wall being that i had the original outlet with the burnt wires?

Old 09-16-05, 08:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by bobinchick
could it be somewhere in side the wall being that i had the original outlet with the burnt wires?
It's possible, but problems inside the wall are very rare compared to problems with outlets or the panel box. Unless you have had any work done lately where nails or screws were driven into the walls. Anything like that where a wire could have been accidentally struck with a nail?

I'd say there's a very good chance this is a loose connection on the circuit with the melted outlet. Do you have silver colored aluminum wire or copper wire where you replaced the outlet?

Old 09-16-05, 09:24 AM
bobinchick
Visiting Guest
i believe its copper. it was burnt so it actually looked black..but other outlets in house r copper..i guess the best thing to do is open up the wall. i also think thats where the problem is...i would have to use a junction box at that point right?

Old 09-16-05, 12:08 PM
i guess the best thing to do is open up the wall
No. The problem is not likely in the wall, but is probably at another receptical or switch or light fixture on the same circuit. Open up everything that's turned off by that breaker and check for loose connections. If there aren't any on any of the fixtures on this circuit, the problem is likely inside the breaker panel - bad breaker or loose connection.

Doug M.

Old 09-19-05, 04:59 PM
bobinchick
Visiting Guest
well i opened the wall slightly and sure enough, one of the white wires were singed and i guess shorting out on the bx...im going to fix it tonight and ill let u know how it goes. i want to thank all of u....ive learned so much from u guys.