Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Switch and Light Replacement, Light NEVER turns off, even if switch is removed.

Switch and Light Replacement, Light NEVER turns off, even if switch is removed.

Old 08-06-05, 06:16 PM
Kpoboe
Visiting Guest
Angry Switch and Light Replacement, Light NEVER turns off, even if switch is removed.

I replaced a single pole switch and a light fixture in my bathroom, now the light will not turn off! Even when the light switch is disconnected!!!
On the switch I have 2 black wires pig tailed to a 3rd wire then connected to the switch. The other wire is red, this is connect to the other screw on the switch. There is also a pair of white wires, caped, not connected.
From the electrical outlet I have 2 black, 2 white and a red wire. I matched these up with the fixture, black to black, white to whitem, red to ground, ground is first wrapped round ground scerw on fixture, then connected to red.
I have put black to red, with the ground, turns on for a second then turns off. Every other combiantion results in the light fixture constantly staying on.
I am truley stumped! Any ideas would be helpful, it is now getting personal between the switch and me

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-05, 07:02 PM
I matched these up with the fixture, black to black, white to whitem, red to ground, ground is first wrapped round ground scerw on fixture, then connected to red
This is not only wrong, it's a pretty good suicide attempt, and it's certainly not how the old fixture was connected! If you expect to live a good long life, you need to pay more attention and/or do more study of home wiring books. Sorry for the admonition, but this is pretty serious stuff and you are in very dangerous territory.

At the light:
  1. Connect black from the box to the other black from the box. Neither of these two wires connects to the fixture.
  2. Connect red from the box to black from the fixture.
  3. Connect both white wires to the white from the fixture.
  4. If there are any bare or green wires in the box, connect the fixture grounding wire to those. If not, and if the box is metal, connect the fixture grounding wire to the box. If there are no bare or grounding wires in the box, and the box is not metal, you'll need to leave the fixture's grounding wire connected to nothing.
  5. Don't do any more guessing when doing electrical work. Red wires are never ground. When you connected the fixture ground to the red wire, you energized all the metal parts on the fixture. You're very lucky you didn't kill yourself or someone else in your family.

Old 08-06-05, 07:03 PM
You should have made detailed notes as to the original wiring before you undid anything.

The red wire is a hot wire. It is not a ground wire. Connecting it to the ground connection was a big mistake. You could have killed yourself doing this.

Colored wires, except for green, are NOT ground wires.

Connect the red wire to the fixture black wire.

Connect the white wire to the fixture white wire and the other white wire..

Connect the black wire to the other black wire. Do not connect it to the fixture.

Connect the bare ground wire (if there is one) to the ground wire. If there is no bare ground wire, then simply connect the ground wire to the metal switch box (if the box is metal).

Old 08-07-05, 12:56 PM
Kpoboe
Visiting Guest
Thank you- connected up as instructed, works OK. I was never going to leave it as is and disconnected the power everytime, but you are correct I was gussing and was lucky not to cause harm. Thnaks again.