Rough in inspection requirements

Old 08-09-05, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rough in inspection requirements

Getting ready for my first electrical inspection.... oh-boy! I'm not worried about my circuitry... all feels and looks good. Only question is.... do I wire nut the circuitry together in the outlet/switch boxes for the inspection (for continuity testing or something of the sort) .... or just coil the romex neatly into the boxes?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-05, 12:17 PM
Inspectors like to see all the connections made up that are possible before the devices are installed, with the only loose wires the ones that will attach to the device. For example, you should definitely connect all grounding wires and leave just the grounding wire(s) that will attach to the device(s). And for switch boxes, you should go ahead and connect the neutrals, leaving only the wires that will actually attach to the switch.

Old 08-09-05, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the speedy response...... heading down to the basement now with a box of wire nuts.... ;-)

Old 08-12-05, 10:37 AM
badger87
Visiting Guest
I had a couple related questions as I get ready for my rough electrical inspection too:
1) Should recessed lights be completely wired up?
2) Should new circuits be hooked up in the main panel (but with the breaker turned off)?
3) Should/can switches that I added into an existing finished wall be completely wired up and installed?

Old 08-12-05, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by badger87
I had a couple related questions as I get ready for my rough electrical inspection too:
1) Should recessed lights be completely wired up?
2) Should new circuits be hooked up in the main panel (but with the breaker turned off)?
3) Should/can switches that I added into an existing finished wall be completely wired up and installed?
Don't know about where you're from but....
1. Mine were wired up - but boxes left open (he never looked at them -after checking a couple of wall boxes and approving the way I had them wired)
2. NO-NO-NO... Do not hook to panel until all devices are installed
3. Nope - he can't see how you did inside ...

For what it's worth ................

Old 08-12-05, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Inspectors like to see all the connections made up that are possible before the devices are installed, with the only loose wires the ones that will attach to the device. For example, you should definitely connect all grounding wires and leave just the grounding wire(s) that will attach to the device(s). And for switch boxes, you should go ahead and connect the neutrals, leaving only the wires that will actually attach to the switch.

Thanks John for the advice.... Inspection went smoothly - he actually asked "Did you wire this yourself?". When I answered "yes" - he said "Very nice job". Your help was appreciated and very helpful!