old school wiring

Old 08-09-05, 02:03 PM
cazako
Visiting Guest
old school wiring

I have an old house with old wiring in part of the house my ceiling fan quit working so i checked the switch but it has only one wire and I cant seem to get a voltage reading dont know if its the switch or the fan or even the wiring all i do knowit not a breaker can you please help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-05, 02:12 PM
i checked the switch but it has only one wire
As far as I know, that's not possible. Check again.

Old 08-09-05, 02:16 PM
Probably can't get a reading because no ground is available for reference. You refer to it only having (1) wire.....do you mean only (1) cable to it or actually just (1) wire.........

Even on the off chance it is Knob-N-Tube...it would have (1) wire coming in and (1) wire leaving....because chances are the neutral would already be at the light box or fan in your case.

If you are checking for voltage I suggest just a simple voltage checker device which they sell at HD and other mega supply stores that detect voltage without a need to have a ground for reference.

As for the fan itself.....you should be able to check for voltage from the neutral and hot inside the fan box or light itself....and switching off the switch should remove this at the ceiling box...telling you that is the switch for that ceiling light.....

But chances are you already know that is the switch for the fan from the past use of the switch and ceiling fan.....

Also make sure you have no pulled any of the on/off or speed chains on the fan to the point it is off....because in that case the wall switch wont do anything....