NM Behind Moulding?

Old 08-10-05, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NM Behind Moulding?

HI, is it ok to tuck NM behind crown moulding? It will be behind the moulding for about 17". There is a clear channel big enuf for #12 NM. The moulding has a big enuf gap between where it meets the wall & the ceiling. And extra care will be taken when replacing the moulding nails. This eventually will lead to a ceiling outlet. Thanks for the moulding advice on whether it is compliant to do it.

THANK YOU.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-05, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
i seen done it and dont see any code that would not permit it unless you have a junction box.
The box must be accessible

Old 08-10-05, 10:06 AM
thank you, the only boxes are at the switch and at the fixture. Also, I was wondering if it is ok to use that spray foam can insulation to fill where I passed the NM thru where I made hole saw opening? does the foam have any effect on the NM?

Old 08-10-05, 12:40 PM
Yes, it's okay to use the foam if you want to.

Old 08-10-05, 03:46 PM
We do alot of the " GREEN " homes where we use between 8-12 cans of the poly foam to go around our boxes. These homes are almost entirely "FISHED" and takes us 8-10 days to rough in and is fine. The foam we use is actually fire rated as well for 2 hours.

On the issue of baseboard moulding....I only ran into one inspector one time with a guy that worked for us that ran some NB in the molding and the inspector ( not sure how he saw it ) said it had to be protected from nails being driven in it by nailplates or simular protection because of the possible risk.

He tried to push the "BORED HOLES" issue even if it was not bored but pulled the depth of wire and as the AHJ made us protect it in some way.....well I wont go into how we protected it per HIS instructions but we got it done.

I am not aware of a specific requirement on running wire in this type moulding except if the NM is considered exposed to possible damage by someone driving nails and so on at a later date.

Anyway...check our NEC Article 300.4(A)(2) describes how to do what you are talking about

And to be honest NEC Article 300.4(E) might be a better reference

Last edited by ElectricalMan; 08-10-05 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to add article to review....
Old 08-10-05, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I certainly appreciate everyones opinions and advice. It helps make the job safe!