Instant hot water

Old 08-10-05, 01:38 PM
Instant hot water

Hi I understand most of what is required for code in canada in the kitchen, but I realized today I'm not sure about a instant hot water heater. I am pretty sure it is not brought up in the simplified book for alberta. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Ted

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-05, 02:16 PM
I know little of Canadian codes, but it is almost certain that the instant hot water appliance will require a dedicated circuit (nothing on the circuit but the water heater). So pick out the specific appliance you want, read the installation manual to get the electrical specifications, and install a new circuit specifically to meet those requirements.

Old 08-10-05, 02:16 PM
Hello,

Now sure about Canada but I would venture to say they wire the same way they do down here in the USA. The manufacturer should have a wiring diagram and requirements for it with their product.

We install some SETS and Envirotech whole house units down here and both require a disconnect ( WholeHouse units Only ) at the unit even if within sight of the panel box per the manufacturers requirements.

What brand of Instant Hot do you have?

Edited: JOHN is too FAST of a Moderator....

Old 08-10-05, 02:20 PM
Don;t have one yet but I'm doing a complete remodel of the 60's kitchen including a complete rewire and I had it all planned out with the book then I realized I did not have a circuit for the instant hot water heater ... I kinda figured it would need it's own circuit and thats what I'll do. I just wanted a confirmation.

P.S it will likely be a in sink erator type .... Not sure which one but probably along the mid range

Thanks

Ted

Last edited by tedpolzin; 08-10-05 at 02:48 PM.