getting power to swith

Old 08-10-05, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
getting power to swith

I am redoing a 1960's house. I removed a light fixture in the bathroom. The previous owner had rewired the fixture to provide constant power to an outlet on the fixture and also provide power to a new wall switch.
The power source is up at the fixture site. No visible power source goes to the switch,. The switch is dead, but did work before I removed the old fixture.
Can I cap off the power source and leave it is the box and draw power from a switch from a switch in the bedroom (right behind the bathroom switch)? If I can do this, would I run and hot wire only to the bathroom swith?
I just want the switch to work, I don't care if the outlet on the fixture has constant feed.
I can't figure out how the old light fixture was rewired to provide power to the switch. The switch in the bathroom was has one black and one white wire going from the switch to the fixture site.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-05, 06:51 PM
Start over. Describe the previous setup. We need a clear picture of what you had before and what you now want. What you have said is very unclear.

Old 08-10-05, 06:55 PM
Re: Power to switch

Sorry I made things unclear.
I guess my main question is:
Can I get power to a bathroom light switch from a light switch directly behind it in a bedroom?
Both would be on the same breaker.
Hope this is a clearer question.
Thanks

Old 08-10-05, 07:01 PM
Please don;t start a new thread. It only confuses people.

Leave the bedroom switch out of it. What I would like to know is, how did this work before you started messing with it, and how do you want it to work now? Why don't you also provide a detailed description of the wiring at the light and at the bathroom switch.

Old 08-10-05, 07:13 PM
I hope I'm doing this right.

At the fixture site there are two wires one white and one black. This is the power source. Wires from the switch are also in the box at the fixture site. The switch has one white and one black running up to the fixture site. The switch is now dead. Before I removed the old fixture the switch turned the light off and on. The fixture has an outlet feature. On the old fixture this was wired to have electricity available constantly. I purchased the same fixture that was already in the bathroom. The old one had been painted over so many times it was dated and ugly. That is why I replaced it. I don't care if the new fixture has electricity constantly. I just want the switch to work.
Thanks

Old 08-10-05, 07:26 PM
You wire it exactly like the old one was wired. But I suppose that you didn't make notes about that.

At the light/receptacle fixture:

Connect the white power wire to the white receptacle wire and the white light wire.

Connect the black power wire to the black receptacle wire and to the white switch wire.

Connect the black switch wire to the black light wire.

Connect the ground wires together, and make sure that the metal fixture is grounded.

At the switch :

Connect the black and white wires to the switch terminals.

Connect the ground wire to the switch and to the metal junction box.

Now keep in mind that you should not use this type of fixture on a permanent basis. It's installation (for new or serious remodeling) would require GFCI protection and a dedicated 20 amp circuit serving only this bathroom.

Old 08-10-05, 07:38 PM
Thank you so much