Cost of rewiring a 1,000 sq. ft. house?

Old 08-10-05, 06:46 PM
bcpelkey
Visiting Guest
Cost of rewiring a 1,000 sq. ft. house?

I have a home in a northern suburb of Detroit that was built in 1941. It does not have ground wires in the walls, only 2 wires.

What would be the approximate cost of getting my home professionally rewired to current code (grounded)?

Thanks!

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-05, 06:57 PM
You are asking two different questions.

Rewiring to code is much different than simply rewiring the receptacles to be grounded.

I suggest that instead of rewiring, that you add new receptacles where you need them. This will be the cheapest solution.

Old 08-11-05, 06:20 AM
Also keep in mind that since the house was wired in the 40's it may not have a properly grounded panel or grounding system itself so adding a recept. may just be no more of a bonus than what you already have.

Just for re-wire sake....which as RAC stated is costly but depends on the amount of remodel you are doing....if you are opening up the walls and the walls are free for the electrician to run the wires.....upgrade the service and properly ground the Service Equipment I would venture to guess.....$ 3,500-5,500 depending on the area you are in....

Now.......if you are not redoing the walls and so on and wanting an electrician to run new circuits.......Time and Material is my guess since you just do not know what the electrician will run into....which leaves me to RAC's answer....

Are you going to fully remodel....or just wanted electrical redone.....if it is the second choice...I am with RAC....just run a new circuit to where you need it and will cost you MUCH less......just be sure the running of the proper NM cable still allows for proper grounding in the panel since I venture to say they probably ran NO ground to the system at all...

Just my take on it....

Old 08-11-05, 07:00 AM
Grounding is more important some places than others. Use your money wisely and put it where it will do the most good--where your computer stuff is, and for your refrigerator, freezer and washing machine.