Quick Question on Fuses for Dryer

Old 08-13-05, 04:06 PM
ritterpa
Visiting Guest
Quick Question on Fuses for Dryer

My fuse box currently has a 30 amp and a 20 amp fuse going to the dryer. The dryer says a 30 amp circuit is required. Does this mean that I need two 30 amp fuses or two 15 amp fuses?

Old 08-13-05, 04:36 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It means you need 2 30's, you must have lucked out if it has been working and the motor must be on the 30 instead of the 20.

Old 08-13-05, 04:43 PM
ritterpa
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by sberry27
It means you need 2 30's, you must have lucked out if it has been working and the motor must be on the 30 instead of the 20.
Actually, I'm just putting it in now. Good thing I asked before I ran it.

Old 08-14-05, 06:47 AM
W
You had best figure out _why_ there is a 20A fuse there. In general it is not safe to simply increase the fuse size on a circuit.

It may be the case that you have proper wiring for 30A fuses, but something blew and the only spare that happened to be around was a 20A fuse.

It may be the case that the circuit is only safe with a 20A fuse, in which case you will need to replace the wiring before you can run this dryer.

It may be the case that you are looking at the wrong fuses.

Do no, in any circumstance, simply put in a 30A fuse without tracing out the wiring and figuring out which fuse(s) go to the dryer circuit, and how large the wire is for the trip.

Just to confirm, you have real fuses, not circuit breakers?

-Jon

Old 08-14-05, 10:05 AM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Winnie asked the million dollar question.....fuses or breakers? I think your talking breakers if you are just running this dryer circuit. It makes a difference on the bases you need to cover for the installation.

Old 08-15-05, 03:23 AM
ritterpa
Visiting Guest
No, it's actually time delay fuses, not breakers. I remember when the inspector checked the wiring he said, "You'll probably need to replace these fuses for a new dryer but you're good to go." Not sure if that means I was good to go for 30 amp--is that pretty standard?

We ran the dryer yesterday and today before I checked these responses. I'm not exactly a handyman, so I'll have to get someone in with a bit of electrical knowledge to double check for me.

Old 08-15-05, 04:21 AM
R
Electric dryers are typically 30 amps.

I'm with Jon and think that someone only had a 20 amp fuse when they needed to replace one of the fuses. Since it worked after they replaced it they didn't bother to purchase the correct 30 amp size, or just never got around to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: