Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

All my recepatacles are too far back in gang box for cover plates to screw in?!?

All my recepatacles are too far back in gang box for cover plates to screw in?!?

Old 08-11-05, 10:49 AM

Im finishing my basement but i guess i put my gang boxes for my receptacles & switches too far back on the stud. When i try to affix the cover plates, the screws for the plate dont come anywhere near the holes on the receptacles (receptacle holes are set back further). Ive already drywalled around the receptacles so i cant take the gang boxes out and adjust them. What can i do to make sure the receptacles are tight in the gang box but out far enough for my cover plates to fit over it. Someone told me about a "spacer" and thats what i need..is this true? how much are these?...i'll need like 25 total. Cant i use washers or longer screws anywhere that can fix it my problem.

Thanks in advance for your help?
BAM

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-05, 10:53 AM
Receptacles and switches are designed to mount flush with the drywall. They have ears to make them flush. I am wondering what you did to make them fit where they are.

Anyway, they sell box extenders that are designed to extend the edges of the boxes so that they come closer to the edge of the dry wall. Shoot for flush with the drywall to about an eighth of an inch and you will be fine. However, because it sounds like you removed the ears from the devices, you may need to replace all the devices.

No, you cannot use washers or other similar spacers.

Old 08-11-05, 11:05 AM
I dont know what i did either

Bob..thanks for the reply

i dont what i did either..i mean we've passed every inspection to date

what has the ears?...the receptacle/switch?..the thing on the top and bottom of each?

when i put the gang box next to the stud...the gang box has those little things on the side (maybe these are the ear thingees)...so the front edge of the gang box stuck out about 1/2 inche..which i assumed was room for the drywall...now i did cut the drwyall too much at the top and bottom around each gang box, but that shouldnt have made the difference...or is this why? The receptacle screws in fin tight to the gang box, but my plate cover has short screws and dont reach the holes to where they are supposed to go in..does this make any sense to you..its like all 25 of my receptacles too

Old 08-11-05, 11:32 AM
New receptacles and switches (the devices themselves) have "ears" at the top and bottom which are small pieces of metal (most tend to be round). They are designed so that they can be broken off.

When mounting directly against the junction box you break off the tabs. When mounting against drywall the tabs are supposed to catch the drywall, so that the device is flush with the edge of the drywall.

If you cut the holes too big then that would explain why the device ears don't catch the drywall. Buy the box extenders and extend the boxes to meet the edge of the drywall. You may have to go to an electrical supply store to buy the extenders, as the big box stores may not sell them.

You may also find that you need larger size cover plates to completely cover the holes in the drywall. Leviton and other manufacturers make three sizes. Standard, midway and jumbo. You can probably find the normal types of these larger size cover plates fairly easily, but you may have to special order any unusual combinations for double or triple gang boxes.

Old 08-11-05, 12:06 PM
thats it...box extenders!

thanks again bob

i'll have to find the extenders...i found a pic of one and i know ive seen these...hopefully, they wont cost too much..maybe around $1.25 each kind of thing

i already have the Leviton plate covers and i thnk we bought the large ones and i still cut too much drywall away..so i guess i'll just have to tape & spackle alittle bit more on the top and bottom is all

thanks again!

Old 08-12-05, 11:23 PM
montag
Visiting Guest
Old 08-13-05, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Even using the larger cover plates will not entirely fix your problem. The Code requires that the gap around the boxes be no larger than 1/8". It should be patched if larger than this.

Old 08-17-05, 06:19 PM
I've bought these at the local orange home improvement store. They come in various depths, color coded to size.

Old 08-23-05, 03:31 PM
ELECTRI-KAL
Visiting Guest
Drywall Is Considered Non-combustible And You Are Allowed Up To
1/4 Inch Of Gap, If Your Gap Is Greater Than That, A Listed Box
Extension Device Is Called For.

A Previous Posting Indicated Green Spacers Which Are Not The Best.
They Are Not Flame-retardant And Can Work Loose As They Slide
Onto The Screw Instead Of The Screw Passing Through A Closed
Center Hole.

There Is A New Product Made Of Electrical Grade Pvc Which Is The
Same Material As Your Boxes.

I Believe Consolidated Electrical Distributors Of Montanna
Carries Them.

Good Luck With The Project