60 AMP Service


Old 08-12-05, 04:30 AM
jobad72's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 49
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
60 AMP Service

I have about 2300 square with a 60 amp service and would like to upgrade it to a 100 or more amp service. Do i need to have a new line run from the pole or just put in a bigger panel and breakers?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-05, 04:34 AM
Speedy Petey's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,455
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need everything new from the weatherhead and connections at the top down to the panel, breakers and grounding. Including the meter pan and ALL service cabling.

I also would VERY seriously think about 200 amps as opposed to 100. For that size home in today's world 100 is very unrealistic. Besides, the cost difference is minimal.
Old 08-12-05, 09:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,944
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jobad72
Do i need to have a new line run from the pole
This is different for various power companies, but in most places in the country, the wiring from the pole belongs to the power company and it is their responsibility to upgrade it if they so choose. To echo Speedy however, it would be your responsibility to upgrade everything beyond the point the service drop cable attaches to your house.

I also suggest a 200A service if you do decide to upgrade.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: