Using un-cinnected range circuit for different purpose

Old 08-12-05, 10:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using un-cinnected range circuit for different purpose

I’ve replaced a 2-conductor range cable (+ non-insulated neutral/grounding wire) with a 3-conductor cable + gnd. The 2 conductor cable I moved a few studs over and dropped it into the basement, the other end I pulled out of the main breaker panel. I’m thinking in the future I may want to use it.

I think I could use it by making a junction box with a breaker in the main panel sized to the smallest conductor using line, neutral, + grounding wire, up to 20 amps or a 30 amp dedicated service, yes/no?

Could it be used for a sub-panel (limited to a 50 amp main-panel breaker, #8 Aluminum) with suitable sub-panel breaker(s) as:

(1) - - A 240v only sub-panel without a neutral wire or neutral sub-panel buss? I have a 240vac welder, a 240vac compressor, and a resistive heater that require different breaker sizes.

(2) - - A 120v only sub-panel, L, N and grounding wire (neutral buss not tied to grounding buss)?

Thanks

Old 08-12-05, 11:37 AM
D
I don't see a problem with extending this circuit for a 240 V circuit or subpanel. There is no neutral with this circuit right now, so 120 V loads are out unless you pull a neutral down with the existing wire or you changed the bus on your main panel that one of the wires is connected to. With #8 AL you could get a 30 Amp circuit only, unless all your connections and wire are rated for 75 deg Celcius in which case you could get 40 Amps. If you wanted to go to a subpanel, and only had 240 V loads, then you would not need to fool with pulling any neutral wires or anything like that. Your grounding conductor cannot be used as the neutral.

Old 08-12-05, 11:40 AM
P
(2)----- The Neutral conductor must be "Ground-isolated" , and insulated, at all connection-points that extend beyond the Service-panel.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: