3 way switch question

Old 08-13-05, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 way switch question

Greetings, My power begins at Switch #1. From there I will run 12/3 (with traveler) to switch #2. then my light fixture will be at the end. So, from switch #2, I only need run 12/2. does this sound correct? the fixture will be at the end of the circuit.

thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-05, 08:39 AM
Yes that is correct so in your installation it will go like this...

===S1~~~~~~~~~~S2=====LIGHT

= is 12/2w/g and ~~~ is 12/3w/g

You should have a (2) wire coming into the S1 box so the black from the FEED will go to the BLACK screw or ( common ) screw on the 3-way switch.

The White wire coming into the S1 from the feed will connect with the white wire in the 12/3 wire ( splice them together )

The Red and Black wire at the S1 in the 12/3 will go to the (2) remaining screws on the S1.

Notice: make sure you tie all your grounds together and ground your switches with a pigtail from the ground groupings.

OK.....now in you S2 box...you have the 12/3 coming in from S1....you are going to take the Red and Black to the SAME (2) screws on the S2 3-way switch, Wirenut the WHITE from the 12/3 to the white 12/2 going to the light.

Now take the black wire from the 12/2 ( going to the light ) and put it to the black screw ( common ) on the 3-way switch.

You should be all set.....Don't forget to make up your grounds.

Helpful tips: Wires go on screws in a CLOCKWISE direction only, Do not forget to ground your switches correctly and NEVER work on a LIVE circuit....make sure you shut off the power and test it before working on it.

Old 08-13-05, 10:26 AM
Thanks so much Electrical Man....Great Detail!