Wiring a Combination Switch/Recepticle GFCI

Old 08-13-05, 07:16 AM
nelaco
Visiting Guest
Wiring a Combination Switch/Recepticle GFCI

Hello everyone, I've decided for now to install a combo switch/recepticle with GFCI in place of my old single pole switch. Per Bob, this doesn't meet code, but I have guests over and the electrician can't get here before then, so this will have to do for now. I am not sure where the cables go. At the switch box I have a RED, and a BLACK conected to both screws on the switch, and then I have a bare GROUND, and two twisted and caped WHITE just seating there. At the light fixture I have a RED, 3 BLACK, 3 WHITE, and the bare GROUND. The combo switch is a Leviton 8299. It has 1 Silver, 1 Brass, and another similar pair in case you want to feed an additional recepticle, and the two LEADS coming from the switch. Appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-05, 09:30 AM
I think you missed a wire at the switch. There should be TWO black wires.

At the switch/receptacle make the following connections:

Connect the black wires to one wire of the switch and to the brass terminal of the GFCI receptacle you will need a wire nut and a pigtail.

Connect the red wire to the other terminal of the switch.

Connect the white wires together and to the silver terminal of the GFCI receptacle. You will need a wire nut and a pigtail.

Connect the ground wires to the metal box and to the device.

Old 08-13-05, 04:11 PM
nelaco
Visiting Guest
Yes Bob, you were right...there were 2 BLACK wires. I followed your directions and it worked like a charm. I really appreciate your help. Take care.

Nelson