Welder wiring help please

Old 08-13-05, 06:44 PM
JBRacing
Visiting Guest
Welder wiring help please

Hey Guys,great forum!
Here goes...I wired my garage with 6/3 for 240v for my new welder.I need to tie back one of the wires at the panel.(6/2 would have been good) By code,does it matter if it's the black & white wires or black & red wires that feed into the breaker? The welder has no neutral. From the welder to its plug, there is black,white & ground. Please let me know. Thanks,Jay.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-05, 07:02 PM
Use the black and red wires, leaving the white wires unconnected on each end. Of course also connect the ground wire.

In a 240/120 volt circuit, the white wire would have to be the neutral. If you ever switch this to a 240/120 circuit you will be glad you don't have to change the white wire.

Another reason for this... You won;t have to reidentify the white wire as a hot wire.

Old 08-14-05, 11:55 AM
davehache
Visiting Guest
It shouldn't matter. If I had to say I would say to use white seeing as thats whats coming out of the welder. However if theres no neutral use two blacks.

Old 08-14-05, 12:08 PM
Make your connection as Bob suggests. The correct convention for 6/3G cable is black and red for line voltage and white for neutral. You dont have the option for two blacks anyway.

Old 08-14-05, 02:06 PM
JBRacing
Visiting Guest
Much apreciated guys. I just switched it over to black & red. I also had to go with thicker cunduit (it's only 2 90*'s from the wall) then what I had for the % of fill factor. I'm learning!(Doing it by code requires a lot of learning)
200 amp service upgrade next!! ;o)

Old 08-14-05, 06:07 PM
JBRacing
Visiting Guest
It works!!! I will weld tomorrow!