convert AC Power in winter

Old 08-13-05, 08:27 PM
javerill
Visiting Guest
convert AC Power in winter

I live in a 5 year old mobile home. I am limited on the amount of power I can get. I have 50Amp service. Every christmas I never have enough power for my lights.

Can I disconnect my AC that is hard wired and does not connect to the house pannel and set up a breaker box with additional power off of it?

thanks in advance

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-05, 08:42 PM
Probably not, but it depends on details. If this is a whole-house A/C, it's almost certainly a pure 240-volt appliance. As such, it does not have a neutral which would be required for a subpanel.

Old 08-14-05, 06:40 AM
What do you mean by 'I never have enough power for my lights?'

Do you mean to say that you cannot get enough power on available branch circuits for your lights?
Or do you mean that you overload your entire panel and your main breaker trips?

When you say that your AC does not connect to the house panel, what _does_ it connect to?

You should have a main panel somewhere. Usually this is the house panel, although there are some other possibilities, including a sort of 'main disconnect' that just has a couple of breakers in it, one which feeds your house panel, others which feed other heavy loads. You _may_ be able to add additional circuits or feeders at your main panel.

It sounds like you are not very familiar with electrical installations. This means that the present discussion should be one of 'what is possible to solve your problem', not 'this is a detailed plan to fix your issues'. Even if this discussion comes up with a viable overall plan, don't go out and start buying wires or installing anything until you've done the necessary background study. If you don't want to do this study, then take the plan we come up with and hire a professional.

This background study includes reading several books on electrical wiring, and asking questions about the parts that you don't understand. It may include pulling a permit for the installation, and talking to an inspector who is familiar with standard practise in your area. It will probably include trying a small task and getting something wrong.

Doing electrical installations properly requires attention to a large number of details, and there is no way that a quick little post on the internet could tell you all the details. These little details mean the difference between a safe install, a safe and legal install, an install that works but really is not safe, or a totally unsafe install.

-Jon