Help Needed with Sprinkler Timer Wiring

Old 08-14-05, 11:19 AM
KGarner
Visiting Guest
Help Needed with Sprinkler Timer Wiring

Hello,

I just installed an outdoor sprinkler timer between the pump and the power source. I followed the wiring from the previous unit but the first unit I put in I noticed a strong ozone smell and the timer stopped working. I got another unit, put it in, and noticed the same ozone smell and the housing felt hot. It is in Florida and it was hot anyway but the interior metal seemed a little hotter than it should be.

There are only three wires coming from the pump and three wires coming from the house. Black, Red, and Green. Green I connected as the ground.

The timer has four connections plus ground. It has line 1, line 2, and load 1 and load 2.

I assumed that the black was the neutral and that red was power. I connected the black wire from the pump to load 2 and the red wire from the pump to load 1. I connected the black wire from the house to line 2 and the red wire from the house to line 1. Ground from both the pump and the house connected to the ground connection in the sprinkler.

This is the way that the pump was originally connected and it seems to make sense.

Am I doing this wrong? Help! I can't understand why I am getting the ozone smell, and I don't want to burn this one up, if that is indeed what is happening. Is the red wire the line, black wire the neutral?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-05, 12:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this a 120 or 240 volt circuit. Usually 120 has a black, a white, plus ground.
Does the replacement timer match the voltage rating of the original unit?

Old 08-15-05, 12:50 PM
I am not an electrican, however, I am very experienced in Sprinkler/Irrigation systems. You need to install a "relay" control circuit between the sprinkler controller and the pump. More info here:
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/pump.htm