Adding a sub panel?

Old 08-14-05, 12:52 PM
davehache
Visiting Guest
Adding a sub panel?

I have a large work shop with a large circuit breaker panel in it coming from a 220V service. I recently bought a large portable from a school and have located the portable beside the shop. I want to run power to the portable and try to use the existing breaker panel that is in the portable.

How can I somehow join the two breakers without having to turn off the main feed from the work shop, because I cant find a disconnect for the service power? If this isn't possible what would be the best solution?

What gauge of wire would I need to use for the service to the panel in the portable?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-05, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Firstly I have no idea what a " Portable " is and again not sure what you are trying to do and I would guess I need to know what a " portable " is.

Secondly, if you do not know where your main breaker is to cut the entire circuit to the line then I would suggest you not attempt any of this without contacting an Electrician.

You state you have no idea where the disconnect is to the entire service, this is not good...you need to know this before you understand anything when it has to do with Electricity.

If possible I need you to explain your " portable " in normal terms..is that a camper....anyway post back and I am sure some of us can assist you.

Old 08-15-05, 09:26 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
You should install feed from a breaker in the panel in your shop. It is easy to connect to a breaker in a panel with turning the whole panel off.

A "portable" would be a portable building that is brought in for temporary class room space. It is a movable building, probably about 20'x30'. At least around here that is what they are.

Old 08-15-05, 09:33 AM
E-man, I believe a portable is a small building used for a temporary classroom. I don't know if his is an engineered steel building like mine or something else.
I got mine from someone who bought it from the local community college, I guess mine was "portable", but I had to pour footings and reassemble it from hundreds of pieces and large panels.

Old 08-15-05, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by davehache
I have a large work shop with a large circuit breaker panel in it coming from a 220V service. I recently bought a large portable from a school and have located the portable beside the shop. I want to run power to the portable and try to use the existing breaker panel that is in the portable.

How can I somehow join the two breakers without having to turn off the main feed from the work shop, because I cant find a disconnect for the service power? If this isn't possible what would be the best solution?

What gauge of wire would I need to use for the service to the panel in the portable?

What's the amp rating of the main breaker in the portable building?

Is there a disconnect for the electrical panel in the shop?

Old 08-15-05, 10:43 PM
davehache
Visiting Guest
Ye you are right it is a portable building...Im gonna get some more info tomorrow and I will post back with some solid numbers.