Wiring Basement Question

Old 08-14-05, 03:42 PM
fbell3
Visiting Guest
Wiring Basement Question

I am wiring a room in my basement and have a few questions...following is what I have completed.

1. have the main wire (14/2) coming from the the main panel to a GFCI outlet.
(note) local code dictates that the first thing on the circuit is the GFCI outlet when other outlets are underground.

2. 14/2 wire coming from GFCI outlet to outlet(2)...14/2 wire coming from outlet(2) to outlet(3)...14/2 wire coming from outlet(3) to outlet(4).

3. I need to wire a ceiling fan/light combination.

[Question] - Can I run another wire from the GFCI to a switch and then a 14/3 from the switch to the fan/light? If this is possible, how would I wire it?

Thanks

PS - I am a novice homeowner...but I can read.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-05, 06:34 PM
chrisallen
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by fbell3
I am wiring a room in my basement and have a few questions...following is what I have completed.

1. have the main wire (14/2) coming from the the main panel to a GFCI outlet.
(note) local code dictates that the first thing on the circuit is the GFCI outlet when other outlets are underground.

2. 14/2 wire coming from GFCI outlet to outlet(2)...14/2 wire coming from outlet(2) to outlet(3)...14/2 wire coming from outlet(3) to outlet(4).

3. I need to wire a ceiling fan/light combination.

[Question] - Can I run another wire from the GFCI to a switch and then a 14/3 from the switch to the fan/light? If this is possible, how would I wire it?

Thanks

PS - I am a novice homeowner...but I can read.
You can do it the way you are saying......basically you would have your hot wire from the 14/2 powering both switches, then out of the switches whichever wire you you choose to use for the fan/light going to that corresponding switch/appliance.

To put it a little more clearly, take the black from the 14/2 and split it between the two switches(giving them power in), then on the out side of the switches take each of the hots on the 14/3 and connect one of them to each switch and then connect the same color to the appliance you want that corresponding switch to operate.

Old 08-14-05, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are wiring this from scratch, everything should be grounded. If the basement is a finished basement, then you do not need a GFCI.

Old 08-14-05, 07:07 PM
fbell3
Visiting Guest
Thanks Guys

I am wiring this from scratch and must have the GFCI...the inspector will check...thanks guys.

Old 08-14-05, 07:36 PM
While I wouldn't argue with an inspector, especially on something this easy to do, the NEC rules are that a GFCI is required in your case only if the basement is unfinished. If the basement is finished then there is no code requirement for a GFCI. Local rules, however, may supersede this.

But as I said, if your inspector wants GFCI protection, then by all means provide it. I wouldn't argue this unless you have some reason to, such as you plan to plug in a refrigerator or a freezer and GFCI protection could be an issue with food spoilage due to a nuisance trip.

Old 08-14-05, 07:47 PM
fbell3
Visiting Guest
Racraft

you are correct...the basement is unfinished...when I got my permits, I had to get a basement completion permit along with the HVAC, Electric, & plumbing permits...because of the basement completion permit I have to follow the codes.

Old 08-15-05, 11:36 AM
You might already have this planned - but I would make sure my fan was wired in on the "line" side of the GFCI....... phantom trips are gonna happen....

My unprofessional opinion...

Old 09-11-05, 06:11 AM
fbell3
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help guys...passed inspection...had one problem, didn't realize in my county that you must have an outlet within 6 ft on both sides of all doors.

Old 09-11-05, 06:13 AM
That's not a county requirement, that's an NEC code requirement.