Buzzing circuit breaker

Old 08-15-05, 10:07 AM
benj
Visiting Guest
Buzzing circuit breaker

Recently, my circuit box started buzzing intermittently. The buzzing seems to happen every couple hours, and only lasts a few minutes at most. I know nothing about home wiring; Is this something I should have checked out by an electrician?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-05, 11:38 AM
Circuit breakers buzz when they are heavily loaded. This buzz is often an indication of a breaker that is about to trip. However it may be an indication of a circuit breaker that is supplying a temporary overload, eg. a motor that is starting.

Such a buzz could simply be normal operation, eg. a bit of buzz every time the air conditioner kicks on, or it could indicate an overloaded circuit (perhaps one of your general purpose circuits has an air conditioner on it, and you are hearing the buzz every time the compressor cycles on). It could also indicate a bad breaker or even a loose connection.

If the buzz just started happening, then you should track down the cause; what device is turning on and off in time with the buzz. It is entirely possible that this has always been there, but you only just now noticed it.

-Jon