safety

Old 08-15-05, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
safety

on a previous post i asked about attics fans.im going to go through the work on running a deicated 20 amp circuit to my attic for 2 fans.that way i dont worry about overloads and light dimming.
is it possible to hook up a disconnect in the attic ,so i can work on the fans in the future without going up and down the basement to shut the breaker.would a regular light switch work to break the circuit before the junction box where the fans would be spliced together.
would basically be light a ceiling light and wall switch set up,but i know the neutral wire is not broken by the switch just the hot wire.any work i do i always kill the breaker,but this attic work i would be by myself and not have to worry about anyone throwing the switch as i was working.
if anyopne could help me along here with the safety issues i would appreciate it...thanks in advance george

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-05, 01:59 PM
Absolutely you do want a disconnect in your attic near the fan. You cannot monitor what's going on below, and I'm not sticking my hand in the fan unless I can keep my eye on the cutoff switch. Just use a simple light switch. Put it on the power feed before anything else. You might want to put a work light up there too, in which case you'd put the switch for that in parallel with the cutoff switch so that you can have light while you work on the fan.

Old 08-15-05, 03:19 PM
thanks john,i will be putting 2 4foot flourecents up there also....my plan is to take line up from panel into attic..place a junction box and run 2 lines out of it ,1 line to a switch for the 2 lights,and 2nd line to a switch and then to thefan or fans ....