exterior lighting ?

Old 08-15-05, 02:28 PM
hkerekes
Visiting Guest
exterior lighting ?

First off , i replaced an existing light fixture with a new motion fixture. Worked fine. During the install i noticed a second set of wires - , + that were just twisted together. A month later i was gonna install another motion light on the other side of the house and an electrician told me that i can use that second set of wires.

So i extended the wires with 14 guage wire, used outdoor boxes and wires and such. Well now the origional light and the new light dont work properly.

There is a switch that controls the origional light but im not sure if it controls the second light i added.

I hope this makes sense to someone, because im confused why the first light doesnt work properly. ( motion sensing and such and i didnt change the wireing i just extended the second set of wires that were twisted together.)

Any suggestions?

feel free to tell me that my explanation skills = 0 and you need more info heh......

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-05, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What exactly are "wires -, +"? And what exactly does "twisted together" mean? Were they in fact electrically connected or not? And where exactly were these second set of wires? On the fixture? In the box?

Old 08-15-05, 02:44 PM
hkerekes
Visiting Guest
- , + positive and negative well white and black.
They were twisted together with a wire cap.
The wires were in the box.

Old 08-15-05, 03:01 PM
Okay, thanks.

There's no "positive" and "negative" in alternating current. We generally use the terms "hot" and "neutral" (in informal discussion). But since these were are connected together, they are likely both hot. Even though one of them is white, it is not a neutral.

You cannot use these wires. Put it back the way it was. If you want to wire a second light, connect the cable between them to the same wires the first light is connected to. Note that some motion lights have installation instructions that say you cannot put more than one on the same switch, so check the instructions carefully.

Old 08-15-05, 03:04 PM
hkerekes
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thank you, ill just run them off of the origional wires. I dont believe it said nething in the directions but ill reread them again.

Old 08-15-05, 03:16 PM
Actually, he might be able to use these wires. My guess is that they are a switch loop that had the switch removed. If I am correct, then he needs to find the other end, connect them to hot and neutral (remove the switch loop) and he would be able to use them.

Old 08-15-05, 03:28 PM
Yes, they absolutely are a switch loop. And the switch is not removed. It's still there. And I assume he still uses it (although that's immaterial). And since power comes to the fixture first, there's no benefit in changing the connections at the switch. No matter what, he still has to connect his new light to the same wires the existing light is connected to.

Old 08-15-05, 04:36 PM
Thanks for catching my mistake John. I assumed that the wires he found were at a junction box where a switch used to exist but had been removed. I must have been concentrating too much on the positive negative issue.