Mud Ring Question

Old 08-15-05, 04:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mud Ring Question

Greetings, I installed my attic (loft BR) switches with surface mount EMT. I used a 4" handy box with a mud ring to center the switch. I do no like the smaller standard handy box typical switch box. I like the bigger box. My question is this: does the industry make a switch plate cover that is offset to cover both the switch and the mud ring? Has anyone ever seen a cover like this? Or must I use a standard handy box switch cover?

THANK YOU AS ALWAYS

Old 08-15-05, 05:22 PM
W
You can either get a two gang cover plate with only a single opening for one switch, or you can get a 'single gang' mud ring that fits a large square box, and then use a single gang cover plate.

For example: http://www.doityourself.com/store/6720734.htm

-Jon

Old 08-15-05, 05:40 PM
Thank you Winnie, that is what I used. I have the single gang mud ring centered over the larger box. I do now have the single gang switch cover also, but my wife does not like the appearance oF the exposed metal to the top, bottom left and right of the single switch cover. Would it violate anything if I fabricated some plastic to glue onto to put around the perimeter of the mud ring? And then use the standard single gang switch cover on top of my invention. Of course, I would still leave the corner screws holds exposed since it is a box that should be accessible. Altho, I think the screws that hold the switch cover plate are access also? Your first advice was the best about using the double gang box with a single switch and the proper switch cover. I always like the room of a larger box for the sake of keeping the wires neater.

THANK YOU.

Old 08-15-05, 06:24 PM
W
I don't know the answer to your question. I _believe_ that you are okay if you simply fabricate something that would fit between the single gang face plate and the mud ring. Remember that the mud ring is intended to stick up through plaster or plasterboard, so if it sticks up through a small plastic/wood/etc. panel, I think that you would be fine.

-Jon

Old 08-16-05, 02:35 PM
G
They do make flat mud rings. This will allow whatever plate you install to be flush with the mud ring.

Old 08-16-05, 07:45 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can also get what's called an "industrial cover." It has the flush surface, like previously mentioned, and is more designed for exposed use. The switch is actually mounted to the inside of the cover, and then the cover is mounted to the box. They are the most attractive option, IMO.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: