Electric Outlet

Old 08-16-05, 10:46 AM
Kel
Visiting Guest
Electric Outlet

I'm trying to repair the socket connected to the bathroom vent. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, i just know that it's not getting power. I know it's not the vent itself, because it connected it to another power outlet. So how do I go about fixing the socket? Any help or suggestions on a starting point would be great. Thanks.

Old 08-16-05, 11:18 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Step 1: Check for any GFCI receptacles in the bathrooms, basement, garage, and outdoors. These are the type with a TEST and RESET button; if you find any, press the RESET buttons. Check the non-working receptacle.

Step 2: Switch the breaker for the circuit off then back on. Check the non-working receptacle.

Step 3: Go to the hardware or home center store and purchase a device called an outlet tester. It will be under $10, and it plugs into a standard receptacle. It will have two yellow lights and a red light that illuminate in a pattern that indicates what is wrong with the receptacle. Post back the results, and we can help from there.

Old 08-16-05, 11:19 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "the socket connected to the bathroom vent." Can you describe that a little better?

Did this ever work? Did it just stop working all of a sudden? Was anything going on when it stopped working? Was it being used when it stopped working? Does anyting else on the same circuit work properly?

What you need to determine first is if there is any type of connection to it. You may have an open neutral, an open hot or a completely disconnected circuit.

Start by sharing the details.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: