Gas dryer power cord. [electrical question]

Old 08-17-05, 08:01 AM
rmsweene
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Gas dryer power cord.

We moved a new stacking gas laundry unit into a new apartment. The cord on the unit didn't fit the plug in the wall. So, I went to Lowe's and got a new one. It strongly appeared (from the pictures in the owners manual) that there was only ONE way to install said new cord, and I did so last night.

Plugged it in, flipped the dryer on, nothing. So my choices for why it isn't working are what?

1. The outlet is bad?
2. A breaker in the basement? (Would've already checked but don't have a key to that yet.)
3. I put the cord in wrong?

Some of the diagrams in the owners manuals talked about different colored wires on the power cord, but my cord all the things were the same color. It seems like a bad idea to just keep re-installing the cord various ways, can someone help me out??

Old 08-17-05, 10:52 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, start with the easy. When can you get a key to the panel? Do you have a meter or something else to verify there is actually power in the receptacle?

If this is a gas dryer stacked unit, doesn't it just have a standard 15A 120V plug? My full size gas dryer stacked washer does.

As for all the wires on your cord being the same color, do you have a picture of this cord/wiring for us, maybe? Does one side of it have ribs while the other side is smooth? The side with the ribs corresponds to the neutral (white wire) in a 120V set-up.

Any other information you can give us?

Old 08-17-05, 11:10 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electricity can kill. NEVER guess at what connections you should be making. Guessing leads to incorrect installations which can kill you.

Is this a 120 volt appliance? A 240 volt appliance? You should have the owners manuals for the unit which should tell you everything you need to know about electrically hooking it up. What do they tell you?

Is this a 120 volt wall receptacle? A 240 volt wall receptacle? How many slots does it have? What did your dryer come with? What did you buy?

Old 08-17-05, 01:21 PM
rmsweene
Visiting Guest
Never mind, it's totally the wall outlet, and I'll have the electrician guy check my cord installation when he comes. Thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: