Question: Want to wire vanity light in bathromm

Old 08-17-05, 02:44 PM
noelectrician
Visiting Guest
Question: Want to wire vanity light in bathromm

I have 3 switches in the bathroom, one of which powers the fan, another powers an overhead light. I want to add a vanity light and use the third switch. Any reason I should not do this myself, considerations and how do it do it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-05, 02:55 PM
So the third switch currently does nothing at all? And never did? How odd.

Is there an accessible attic above this room? If not, how good are your drywalling skills?

Old 08-17-05, 03:25 PM
My guess is that the third switch originally did something, but was eliminated in a remodel. It might help if you knew what it used to do, as the wire may still be in the wall but abandoned. Although it if it is it is most likely not usable.

Answer John's questions regarding drywall experience and an attic.

Old 08-17-05, 03:56 PM
noelectrician
Visiting Guest
I do have attic access. The house was completely remodeled this year and built originally in 1925. I will check and see if there is a wire, but have no idea what it connected to before.

Old 08-17-05, 04:07 PM
First, you need to figure out if the power cable comes into the switch box. Given that there are three switches in the box, it probably does. To figure this out, shut off the breaker, gently pull the switches out of the box without disconnecting any wires, and see if there are three or four white wires in the back of the box connected only to each other, and not to any switches. This will also allow you to see if there are any wires to the third switch. It is possible that the switch already does control something (like an attic fan), but that you just don't know it yet.