Waring 2 receptacles to a single switch

Old 08-18-05, 01:21 PM
jcappsjr
Visiting Guest
Question Wiring 2 receptacles to a single switch

I replaced 2 receptacles which were activated by a single 2 way switch--which I also replaced.

The 2 receptacles will work----but the switch will not turn them on and off as before--I must have hooked up something wrong.

The first receptacle box has 2 romex wires coming in----one has black,white and ground and is coming from the switch---which is getting its power from hot in the receptacel box.

The second romex wire in the receptacle box has a red,white,black and ground wire.

This recptacle box is in series with another receptacle on the same wall. As I stated both receptacles work but I cannot control them from the switch as I had before I replaced everything.

How do I wire the first receptacle box so that the switch will activate both receptacles?

Thanks,

[email protected]

Last edited by jcappsjr; 08-19-05 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-05, 02:06 PM
Wow, I think we've gone a few weeks without this very common question. The solution is the tab on the side of the receptacles. I assume that the switch only use to work on one half of each receptacle, but I'd like to hear from you if that is what you remember too. Do you still have the old receptacles you removed? If so, that will help a lot.

If the switch did operate both halves of each old receptacle, then the solution is somewhat different. But I must ask if you carefully recorded the connections before you removed the old receptacles.

So which is it? Did the switch operate one half or both halves of the receptacles?

Old 08-19-05, 06:54 AM
jcappsjr
Visiting Guest
The switch controlled both plugs in each receptacle.

Thanks,

jack

Old 08-19-05, 07:12 AM
I think you might be misconstruing the functions of the cables. Are you sure the cable with black/white/red goes between the 2 receptacles? There doesn't seem to be any point in this. Could that cable be coming from the switch? This would make sense because it would be very common. The black wire would feed the always hot side of the first receptacle. This first one ONLY would have the tab broken off; and the red wire , coming off the switch, would control half of that one. The second receptacle would be efd by the black wire of a 12/2 from the first box. Depending on how you connected it, all of the second receptacle would either be switched, or always hot.

Old 08-19-05, 07:30 AM
You provided great information about the wires at the first receptacle box. Now please provide the same information about the switch box, and the second receptacle box.

And don't bother trying to tell us where the cables come from or go to. Unless the walls are open, you can't really tell anyway. If you know for sure, then tell us (and tell us why you're sure). Otherwise, don't guess.

Old 08-19-05, 08:41 AM
jcappsjr
Visiting Guest
Hi guys,

Per your request for additional infromation:

The switch(which I replaced) was a two way switch--one black,one white and a ground. There is another switch in the box that controls an overhead light---but it is not connected to the first switch anyway that I can see.

The second receptacle has 2 black wires,2 white wires and a red wire plus ground.

The first receptace as stated before has 2 sets of romex coming in---first--1 white, black and ground, second--1 white,1 black, 1 red, and ground.

Both receptacles (all 4 plugs) are now hot--but switch does not control either receptacle.

Before I replaced switch and both receptacles---switch controlled both--all 4 plugs.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Jack

Old 08-19-05, 09:45 AM
I'm going to assume that the receptacle that is physically closest to the light switch is wired directly from it, and that the other switch is indirectly wired to the switch. This isn't a guarantee, but it's probably right.

The fact that there is one black and one white wire connected to the switch indicates a switch loop.

Leave the switch alone.

At the receptacle physically closest to the light switch:
  • Connect the black wire from the black/red/white cable to the white wire from the black/white cable. Yes, you heard me right--connect a black wire to a white wire. Neither of these wires connect to the receptacle in any way.
  • Connect the white wire from the black/white/red cable to either one of the two silver screws on the receptacle.
  • Connect the red wire to either one of the two brass screws on the receptacle.
  • Connect the black wire from the black/white cable to the remaining brass screw on the receptacle.
At the receptacle physically farthest from the light switch:
  • Use a wire nut to connect the black wire from each cable to each other. Neither of these wires connect to the receptacle in any way. It was this way before, but perhaps you didn't record that.
  • Connect the two white wires to the two silver screws on the receptacle.
  • Connect the red wire to either one of the brass screws.
At each box, connect both bare wires to a pigtail to the green screw.

Old 08-19-05, 10:58 AM
jcappsjr
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for the help. I will be going back to the location again in October---It is my mother-in-laws beach house and I very much appreciate your assistance. I will respond after I re-do the repair.

Thanks,

Jack