Electrical Socket(s) Outage

Old 08-18-05, 03:26 PM
Jeonne
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Electrical Socket(s) Outage

Hello Everyone,

I am having a problem with a couple of outlets. It all started when I was blow dryng my hair in my bedroom. The socket I was using in the bedroom blew and so did the bathroom outlets (2 outlets of which one is a GCFI). I purchased an outlet tester and it indicates HOT/GROUND REVERSE. What is that and how do I fix it????

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-05, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot/ground reverse is a false indication of an open neutral. It very commonly occurs under high loads, such as a vacuum cleaner or hair dryer. Typically a backstab connection (wire poked into a hole) fails. One of the reasons it's so hard to find is that it doesn't necessarily happen at the point of use, but can happen anywhere on the circuit, including at an outlet which is still working fine.

Shut off the breaker. Open up every box on the circuit. Move any backstab connections of white wires (and black wires if you have time) to the adjacent screw. This is a very easy and simple fix, but it can be time-consuming. It is made even more time-consuming by the fact that people are very reluctant to believe that this is the problem, and/or reluctant to believe that the problem can be at an outlet that is working fine.

One last possibility: it is possible that you need to replace the GFCI.