power adapter for 2 wire out of wall

Old 08-18-05, 11:01 PM
rosewood714
Visiting Guest
power adapter for 2 wire out of wall

I am installing a microwave/microhood above my range. When the original vent fan above the range was removed I discovered the fan was connected to two wires out of the wall. The new microwave is a standard 3 prong male, and it needs a normal 3 prong felmale outlet to connect to. Can someone help me find where I can get a power adapter with 2 wires on one end and a normal 3 prong female socket on the other.

Also, I'm assuming the red wire is "hot" and the white wire is ground.

Old 08-19-05, 04:33 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NEVER EVER MAKE AN ASSUMPTION WHEN WORKING WITH ELECTRICITY! Electricity can kill. Making an assumption can get you killed.

Neither wire is ground. One wire is grounded, but it is not ground, it is a return.

You need to rewire. Do not use the existing wire. You need to have a dedicated circuit run for this microwave range hood. A proper ground is a necessity.

Old 08-19-05, 06:46 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Installing a new build-in microwave almost always involves installing a new circuit too.

Old 08-19-05, 08:11 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Microwave range hoods require a dedicated, grounded circuit. You need to run a new circuit just for this microwave, and it must be properly grounded. This requirement is usually on the first page of the installation instructions which will also specify if this circuit must be 15A or 20A. I bet it's 20.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: