ADA compliance

Old 08-19-05, 05:24 PM
ADA compliance

I am on a team to rennovate a church building for community service use.
Since I have a fair amount of electrical experience, they sort of put me in charge of the new wiring.
We were told that we need to upgrade to ADA standards including ramps and bathrooms. They did not specifically mention the electrics, but I want to stay ahead of the game.
I understand that the outlets should be at least 15 inches above the floor.
But what about the light switches? Is there a maximum or suggested height?
Thanks.
p.s. I absolutely love this forum. Some of it is way too basic but there is always something I can learn.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-05, 05:41 PM
These standards are not dictated or specified by the NEC. The architect you hire for the renovation, and the electrician you hire for the electrical work should be up to speed on what is required. As a sanity check, I would talk with the codes enforcement officer for the jurisdiction and have him or her supply you with the appropriate codes or at least the contact people to learn what they are.

Old 08-19-05, 06:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
ADA has their own set of guidelines for this stuff. I would seek out information directly from them or your state.
ADA Home Page

Old 08-19-05, 07:17 PM
We were hit with a surprise by the inspector when we recently built a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. He made us move all of out thermostats down to where they could be reached by someone in a wheelchair.

150 people in the auditorium, and we're gonna send the brother in the wheelchair to change the temp!!

Old 08-19-05, 07:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That is the sort of thing that should have been caught at a plan review. This is a problem with voulenteer work at churches, etc.. Very often there are no plans or engineering done since money is typically tight.

I also would be very concerned with liability and insurance issues. Churches and places of assembly have very strict codes, for good reason. If something bad were to happen and it was found out that non-licensed, non-insured people did the work someone is in BIG trouble!

Old 08-19-05, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
That is the sort of thing that should have been caught at a plan review. This is a problem with voulenteer work at churches, etc.. Very often there are no plans or engineering done since money is typically tight.
I guess we might be an exception. There are a LOT of Witnesses who are engineers and journeymen construction professionals. The plans were engineered by quite a team, which included myself, and were approved; and several Halls had been built with this same design. All of a sudden, we had to change this item on this one hall with this inspector. It was just weird, and totally unnecessary from a real accessibility standpoint.

Back on thread, we have 18" (to center) for receptacles here.