Wiring mismatch?

Old 08-20-05, 07:39 PM
CLUELESSINNY
Visiting Guest
Wiring mismatch?

Hello, I'm trying to wire a new exhaust fan/light in my bathroom. Two switches.. I will also need to keep a third switch for a lighted mirror. Question is, I have metal wrapped, 2 wire power coming in but the schematics of the fan/light show 4 wires coming in to the unit. The wires are ground/white/black and red. I imagine the connections can be made but, does it matter if instead of metal sheathed wiring I use Non-Metal cable to come out to the fan/light? I was told the metal sheathing in the 2-wire cable is the ground. So, if the electrical box also has a green screw in it, can I connect the green NM wire to it and be safe?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-05, 03:06 PM
Sounds like you are describing BX cable. If so, then the outer armor is also the ground. It's not used around here anymore, in favor of MC cable, which has a green, insulated ground running inside with the conductors.

If Romex is allowed, and I assume it is, then there's no problem that I see. Run 14/3 between the switches and the fan to power the black and red wires separately.

Old 08-22-05, 02:31 AM
CLUELESSINNY
Visiting Guest
Hi there. Thanks for the reply. Now...what is Romex? I found 12-3 metal cable. Picked it up 'cause it had the right number of wires. Can I use it?

Old 08-22-05, 03:52 AM
"Romex" is a term commonly used for inside (NM or non-metallic sheathed) house wiring that is not armored.

Old 08-22-05, 05:29 PM
It depends on where you are. The 12/3 MC cable is fine.

Some jurisdictions(Chicagoland most famously) don't allow NMB, and perhaps limet use of metal clad "flex", favoring rigid conduit.

Don't forget the antishort bushings.