Service Entrance Mast

Old 08-21-05, 05:54 AM
ldarge
Visiting Guest
Service Entrance Mast

We have just had our service upgraded to 200 amps in order to consoidate 3 panels into one. Our home is a ranch and original line was connected at height of 9' which had to be raised using a 2" pipe through the soffets (overhang) and roof. It meets/exceeds code since it is now 13.5" over the lawn and 15+ ft. over sidewalk and approx. 24'+ over the street (pole on other side of busy street). Local inspector is keeping permit open since we want to ask local utility if we can lower it to 'code'. Not sure of how that will pan out yet. Serious cosmetic problem in that the pipe could not be flush against the house because of 1" trim extending under soffet so there are three 10" ugly pieces of steel that the 3 brackets are mounted on to. Only suggestion by contractor was to put three 5-6" spacers made of wood to support instead. No other type bracket available. This side of our house is hideous, even with paint, etc. it only adds to the ugliness of the pipe. Looking for some other alternative if any exists. Unhappy homeowners in NJ.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-05, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There are alternatives, but none attractive. This is a common problem with few solutions.
Sometimes I will use 8" pieces of 2x4pt as spacers. I rarely use strut (what I assume they used) on a residential job. Many times a carpenter will wrap the blocks in trim stock so they blend in.

A mast service IS unattractive, but it is something we have to live with. We try to make the best of it.

Old 08-21-05, 07:03 AM
Some portion of it underground is not an option?

Old 08-21-05, 03:01 PM
That's what I was thinking Cary. Pipe underground and put a new pole on YOUR side of the street and then go over the street.

Lot of extra work now that the mast is already done, though.

Old 08-21-05, 04:14 PM
Do you realize how much it costs to set a pole???

Besides that, depending on the yard that could easily be much uglier than the mast.
My house is the same way and NO WAY would I set a pole right in front of my house. I'll live with the mast.

Old 08-21-05, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
Do you realize how much it costs to set a pole???
All depends on where you live and who your power company is. For example, it's quite common in rural AZ to have to pay for a few poles to get power to your property. Just giving some folks a few ideas...

Old 08-22-05, 04:00 AM
It's quite common here as well. It is not rare to have driveways 1000'+ long.

But to drop $1500-$2000 to set a pole in front of your house? That's all I'm sayin'.
Having several of them run through the woods to get power to a remote house is another story.

Old 08-22-05, 11:07 AM
Sure seems like a legitimate IDEA (i.e. worth mentioning) since the folks can obviously afford to be concerned about cosmetics to start with.

$2000 don't sound too bad for that work.

Old 08-23-05, 04:57 AM
ldarge
Visiting Guest
Service Entrance Mast

Thank you for your ideas. Wish we had inquired about underground service before we spent the $$$ but figured it would be costly and just as ugly as a mast. Cosmetics are a concern esp, since this is our first house and we are 50+ and concerned about re-sale. Town is okay but not sought after as other towns around. NJ is VERY expensive. Waiting for utility co. to inspect and advise if we can lower mast then will move on to finding better type brackets/spacers perhaps as suggested by Speedy Petey. If underground is an option, we might just borrow more $$$, but for now, it seems we will have to work with what we have. First time on this forum and it's been a good experience. Thanks.