What Could Be The Problem?

Old 08-21-05, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What Could Be The Problem?

The 28' x 28' detached garage is finished. I installed four- 4' fluorescents lights in the ceiling. Two lights having it's own wall switch, and all four on it's own 20 amp circuit breaker.

They worked fine when installed. Came on very quick and without any flickering. That was Thursday, Aug. 18th. Friday the 19th at about 6:30 p.m. I showed my neighbor what I had done. The lights did not come on, they just flickered. I waited a few minutes, same thing happen. I went out early Sat. morning and the lights came on quick and no flickering.

The detached garage has a sub panel. The wiring in #6 THNN (4 wire) going underground in gray schedule 40 conduit to the main panel in the attached garage. There I have the Red and Black connected to a "dual" 50 amp breaker, and White and Green to ground. The detached garage also has a copper ground.

On Friday evening here, the temperature was near 100 degrees and I'm thinking there was a lot of wattage use by all.
Could this be the problem for the lights not to come on?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-05, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Skeeterman...there are lots of possibilities. All are usually minor but fluorescents can deal you fits at times. Line voltage is a possibility but not very common IMO. Rather than try to list everything... here is a couple links that explains several possibilities.
http://nemesis.lonestar.org/referenc...t/trouble.html

http://members.misty.com/don/f-lamp.html

Last edited by Roger; 08-22-05 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-05, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cheap flo fixtures are notorious for starting problems. The only thing is to change them to hi dollar units