Backstabs

Old 08-22-05, 02:36 PM
Nenu
Visiting Guest
Backstabs

Curious about this one...

I have read many places that backstab receptacles are discouraged highly, and that one should always connect via the screws on the receptacle, as with the backstab the wires can fall out - makes perfect sense.

Was watching a renovation show on television, where I was surprised to see an electrical contractor using the backstabs while screws were present on the receptacle.

Now this is the catch.. I am fairly certain this was a GFCI receptacle (was difficult to tell, but it was a basement kitchen project, so very likely).

Now I am left wondering... is backstabbing discouraged on regular receptacles, but fine with GFCI due to their design and protection?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-05, 02:45 PM
Most GFCI receptacles are backwired as opposed to backstabbed. With backwired, the screws tighten a clamp within the device to hold the wire. This is a lot better than a backstab.

You can get other devices that are backwired, but they are usually more expensive.

Old 08-22-05, 03:09 PM
Nenu
Visiting Guest
Oh interesting to know ... Our house does not have GFCI's currently (old construction) but as we work on redoing the wiring this is good info. Thanks

Old 08-22-05, 04:07 PM
Backstabs are legal. They work. There is nothing wrong with using them if you want.
They are also a very common source of problems. So many people including myself do not recommend using them.

Old 08-22-05, 04:25 PM
Nenu
Visiting Guest
Definitely, which is why it boggles the mind why backstabs would be used over screws... is this a laziness thing? Deemed legal or not, I would want the least problematic solution for electrical..

Old 08-22-05, 06:46 PM
Let's face it, some people are all about getting into a house and getting it done. Especially if they're piece-work. As long as the house hot-checks okay, they probably aren't going to give much thought to using backstabs.

But that's the great thing about DIY, you can take the time to do things better if you choose to do so.