Adding a new switch using wires for receptacle

Old 08-24-05, 05:26 PM
scottycam
Visiting Guest
Adding a new switch using wires for receptacle

Hi Everyone..

I've heard that this place is really helpful and there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here.. so.. here goes...

I'm looking for some wiring help. I currently have a GFCI outlet and I'm looking to add a dimmer switch next to it along with a 120V uder cabinet halogen lights. I plan on cutting off the plug of the lights and then hardwiring it that way. I was able to fit in a two gang box and now the wiring comes in and is a bit tricky. I currently have 3 wires coming from the wall..Hot/neutral/ground.

1.How would I go about connecting the dimmer switch from those wires along with the plug? Would I just twist a short length of wire, another way of splicing it? So, for the black wire that is coming out of the wall, would that mean that I would have 3 smaller (5") wires connecting from it? As well as the white ones?

2. How do I connect the wire from the lights and what wires go with what wires? The dimmer switch that I'm using is the LUTRON S-600P which has a green wire in the back and two black wires with writing on it.

I'm so confused and don't want to screw it up. Anyways.. I'm working on it at the moment so any and all info as soon as can would be great!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-05, 05:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
The small appliance countertop receptacle circuit that sound like you plan to use CANNOT be used for a lighting load like you plan to add.

Also cutting the cord plug off of the lights removed its UL listing and would result it it being used contrary to its listing.

Sorry, but you will need to change both parts of your plan.

Old 08-24-05, 05:39 PM
scottycam
Visiting Guest
oh.. so I guess I won't be able to do any of that huh? Now what makes it a small appliance load?

Old 08-24-05, 05:41 PM
scottycam
Visiting Guest
I meant to say that I wanted to add a dimmer switch to use it WITH the undercabinet lights, not a dimmer switch AND the undercabinet lights.. sorry if that makes a difference or not..

Old 08-24-05, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
By NEC rules concerning kitchen receptacles these circuits cannot service any lighting loads. The rules can be read in Article 210 of the National Electric Code. Your library may have a copy or try this link.

http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_document.asp