Help identifying outlet

Old 08-24-05, 10:08 PM
khassani
Visiting Guest
Help identifying outlet

I moved into my condo about a year ago and want to do some home improvement. There's some really old wiring in my place. There's an outlet that I can't identify (I have pix, but I don't know how to post them).

It looks like this:
_________
l o o 8 o l
l________l

Where each circle is a screw. It's a standard size wall plate. I opened it up and there are wires from the wall connected to the middle screw and the "8" screws look like they have resistors or something connected to them.

P.S. Does anyone know about how much it would cost for an electrician to install an outlet for a ceiling fan in a condo?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-05, 07:26 AM
So there are only screws visible from the outside? No place in which to insert any kind of plug?

Installation of a new outlet depends on too many factors to speculate on a price. A lot depends on how much power you need to be able to draw from this outlet (e.g., is it for a clock, or for an air conditioner). It also depends on the location of the new outlet, and the relationship of this outlet to other things.

Old 08-25-05, 07:43 AM
Without seeing this three possibilities are that is was related to an intercom system, a hifi sound system, or an alarm system. Look for something in a closet somewhere that has similar connections.

Old 08-25-05, 08:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by khassani
I have pix, but I don't know how to post them.
Do you have a website to host the pictures on? Do you know how to attach pictures to an e-mail? If so, send me a private message and I will give you an e-mail address to send me the picture. I can post it.

P.S. Does anyone know about how much it would cost for an electrician to install an outlet for a ceiling fan in a condo?
There are a lot of variables in that. A huge factor will be if there is an accessible attic above the fan and if there is already wiring in place for an existing light.

Old 08-25-05, 04:36 PM
khassani
Visiting Guest
pix

Here are the pix:

https://jshare.johnshopkins.edu/khassan4/

As to the ceiling outlet: There are no ceiling outlets (or other fixtures) nearby. There is an apartment above me (concrete in between). I'm not looking for an exact amount. Just an order of magnititude sort of estimate. I'll call some electricians in a few weeks for estimates, but I'm a little busy with school right now and thought I'd get a rough estimate in the meantime.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 08-26-05, 05:59 AM
Did you actually measure 120V on this? I've never seen anything like it before.

Maybe it is from an old door entry control sysem?

Old 08-26-05, 06:35 AM
bink

To me, it looks like a high impedence, ie. 300 ohm TV twin lead connection but I don't see a balum, maybe it on the other end. Try con a balum to it(cheap, a couple of dollar) to the screws and connect the output of the balum to a TV. JMO

Old 08-26-05, 08:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is a hookup for an old television antenna as bink suggested. If this building has Cable TV installed, there is a good chance the old antenna has been scrapped and those wires go nowhere.