Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Quick 3way switch question. Just need confirmationon thought process!

Old 08-25-05, 08:21 AM
Bi_Polar
Visiting Guest

Hopefully someone can just confirm my thinking here to make sure I am proceeding in the right direction.
I am about to replace 1 flourescent fixture with 4 recessed lights. The current single fixture is connected to 2 3-way switches so it stands to reason that the 3-way wire is already in place in the walls (finished walls). The light fixture itself has only 1 strand of 14/2 romex going into it (no other wire connecting TO something else from the light itself).

So as far as I can tell from this scenario I can expect ONLY the following possible diagram to be in place now:

Let "-" mean 14/2 cable, "=" mean 14/3 cable

Power-Switch1=Switch2-Light1

Furthermore I will keep the existing wiring in place with no need to change and have the following diagram when done:

Power-Switch1=Switch2-Light1-Light2-Light3-Light4

The above is really the only possible way that this could be wired correct? And my intentions to add the new lights into the second diagram would certainly be the easiest way to wire this correct?

(I will be having an electrician come in to confirm that the circuit is not overloaded and if so install a new circuit and run wire from it to Switch1).

Thanks to all who take the time in this great forum!

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-05, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You are correct in your thinking. There could be a few other variations in the existing wiring, but that won't matter if you only add the new 4 lights as described.

Old 08-25-05, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can expect ONLY the following possible diagram to be in place now
Well, it could also be:

Power-S1=S2, and S1-L1

And of course you don't know without investigation which switch is S1 and which is S2.

In any event, if all you are doing is adding L1-L2-L3-L4, it doesn't matter how it's wired now. It will work regardless.

Old 08-25-05, 08:54 AM
Bi_Polar
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick responses.

Old 08-25-05, 09:05 AM
Bi_Polar
Visiting Guest
I actually have yet another question and I put it here rather than start a new thread since it has to do with yet another 3way switch project I am about to embark upon. Hopefully this gets noticed...

Anyway, I have a laundry room that has 2 ceiling lights.

#1 ceiling light is connected to two standard 3-way switches.

#2 ceiling light is connected only to a standard switch.

I would like to do away with ceiling light #2 altogether (and the switch itself) and *replace* ceiling light #1 with 3-4 recessed lights.

Being that the 3-way wiring is already in place, it seems an easy proposition to accomplish this.

My question is concerning how to properly remove ceiling light #2. I *believe*, but am not 100% certain, that ceiling light #2 has only a 14/2 romex running to it from the switch and the wiring ends there (at the #2 fixture). Is this as simple as:

1. Shut off power to breaker
2. Remove light fixture
3. Remove switch and just leave the wiring in the wall (with no power attached to it)
4. Replace the (current) double switch box with a single.

Thanks again for all the help

Scott

Old 08-25-05, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Where does light #2 get power from? You need to locate the source of the power feed to light #2 and disconnect and remove the wiring from that point on. It is permissible to abandon unused wiring inside finished walls only if both ends of the disused wire are disconnected and pushed out of the boxes. The situation needs to be such that a future homeowner cannot errantly connect power to a wire that is cut off and hanging in a wall somewhere. Alternatively, you can leave the existing wiring as-is and put blank faceplates over the junction boxes.

Old 08-26-05, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
On the first question: the switches can be left entirely out of the picture. At the existing light, you have a hot lead and a neutral. That is what lights the light, and it does not matter how those leads get there. If you just extend the black and white to 1 or 100 more fixtures, all will be controlled by the switch arrangement.