GFI Problems

Old 08-25-05, 01:00 PM
GFI Problems

Is my GFI recpt hooked up correct?....I am getting power to the GFI and the recp works...When I test trip it the hair dryer I used to test it with does not operate...when it is in the tripped state I still get a positive reading on my tic tester (voltage tester)...Is this correct...Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-05, 01:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the tester is digital, disregard the reading; it is called "phantom voltage". Use a lamp-type tester instead. Since the hair dryer does not work when the GFCI receptacle is tripped, it sounds like everything is working just fine.

Old 08-25-05, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by ThomasB
Is my GFI recpt hooked up correct?....I am getting power to the GFI and the recp works...When I test trip it the hair dryer I used to test it with does not operate...when it is in the tripped state I still get a positive reading on my tic tester (voltage tester)...Is this correct...Thanks
Your tic tester is inductive and it buzzes or lights because it is "picking" up the hot wire connected to the gfci. When you pushed the test button the gfci's contacts have disconnected (opened) the hot wire to the receptacle and therefore it has done its job. Tic testers are great for determining if power is present but can be misleading in the situation you are using it. Tic testers have their place but caution is the rule when using them for testing devices such as gfci's or when checking for power in JB's or electrical boxes with more than one circuit in them, especially in conduit applications.

Old 08-25-05, 01:26 PM
Everything sounds good. The tic tester still registers because there is still voltage in the box--it's just not being delivered to the slots on the receptacle. The tic tester tells you that there is voltage there, but it doesn't tell you exactly where because it is merely a proximity tester.