Unused phone jacks

Old 08-27-05, 09:36 AM
boswellelb
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Unused phone jacks

I have 3 phone jacks in my home but only one is active/hot/in use. Would like to activate other 2 jacks. They will all have one line/phone number.
Do I have to do anything at outside box?
Does any wiring inside jacks have to be changed?
Will I have to "tone out each jack to locate it? (no equipment for that)
If I do have to tone out, could I utilize a regular telephone?
Can some one help

Last edited by boswellelb; 08-27-05 at 09:38 AM. Reason: To change notification type
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-05, 10:39 AM
Have you tried the jacks? They might be live already. If not, find the Network Interface Box. All the phone lines should terminate there. You can then connect any lines that are not connected to the active terminals. You probably won't need a toner & probe for a small job like this.
Good luck!

Old 08-27-05, 02:27 PM
In most homes, all the phone jacks are daisy-chained (wired from the NID to A to B to C to D). In some homes, especially if there have been a lot of changes over the years, the wiring from each jack may go directly back to the NID. Or you may have some of each.

If you open up and look in all the jack boxes and at the NID, you should be able to figure out what you have. It may be that in one or more of the jack boxes, and/or at the NID, you just need to connect up some wires. It could also be that some of the jacks are connected to line 2 or line 3, lines that may have been deactivated long ago. In that case, you could just move the line 2 or line 3 connections in the NID to line 1.

It's a puzzle, but you should be able to solve it with a little investigation. Wire color will also provide important clues.

Old 08-27-05, 06:46 PM
In the jack that works, look at the wire colors that are connected to the middle 2 pins in the jack. It the jack has wires it will be the red and green wires. Now go to the other jacks and see if the same or different colors are connected to those middle 2 pins on the jack.