Household wiring thur garage

Old 08-27-05, 11:03 AM
ccdd54
Visiting Guest
Household wiring thur garage

What type of protection does electrical cable external of wall inside of garage need be made of...i.e. galvan. pipe or pvc piping for the state of Indiana?? Adding outlets and don't want to tear up drywall in garage, so thinking of running wire external along the wall not inside the wall. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-05, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As long as you provide protection from physical damage, you have a lot of flexibility in how you provide it. Some people like the ease of flexible armored cable that can be purchased with the wires already inside. Some like easy-to-assemble PVC conduit (although make sure the glue doesn't get on the wire). If the cable can be run inside studs or joists, you usually need no further protection.

Note that drywall is easy and inexpensive to repair and/or replace. And the garage is a great place to gain drywalling experience, since the cosmetic requirements are low. If you acquire drywalling experience now, it will come in handy over and over again.

Old 08-27-05, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would say,, is this a working garage or a residential parking garage. Are you going to be continiously adding equipment? In a working garage I like surface piped for a couple of reasons, changes or additions are easily made and the variety of boxes, connectors, covers etc is extensive. If you are just parking in there and running the occasional vacuum then you may want to do like John says and hide the wire, a lot of it you might be able to fish thru walls, maybe just run pipe on the vert drops?