Garage wiring???

Old 08-27-05, 10:22 AM
griffey
Visiting Guest
Garage wiring???

My garage has just exposed studs with no insulation or drywall currently. There are outlets and switches currently on the studs with romex stapled to the studs. I would like to insulate and drywall the garage. Can I place insulation and dryall without doing anything with the romex wiring??? Looking for some help!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-05, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In a word, yes. If you use fiberglass batts, it is customary to slit the batt half-way through and wrap it around the cables running perpendicular to the studs. If you will ever want more cable, add it first.

Old 08-27-05, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by griffey
My garage has just exposed studs with no insulation or drywall currently. There are outlets and switches currently on the studs with romex stapled to the studs. I would like to insulate and drywall the garage. Can I place insulation and dryall without doing anything with the romex wiring??? Looking for some help!!!!

Just to add to Johns advice....make sure the electrical boxes and ceiling fixture boxes are set out properly on the studs and joists to allow for the thickness of the drywall. Now is the time to add receptacles and lights if you want them. Receptacles must be gfci protected.